cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking mobile phone

Fixes: 125

Unlocking mobile phone

There were a couple of topics recently about getting phones unlocked. Rather than revisit them I thought I'd share my experience here...
I'm off to Ukraine for a month with SWMBO at the end of August (don't worry, I'll still be popping in Wink) and will buy a local SIM.
I contacted T-mobile by phone to be told the cost would be a little over £15.00. I was told that that is what they are charged by HTC. They couldn't explain why other suppliers could do it for free. I rang two more times in the hope that I would get a better deal after explaining that I've been a customer for 17 years, blah, blah. My pleas fell on the deaf ears of the CS teams in India who, obviously, work from scripts.
I then sent an email explaining my dismay at the charge. The next day I received a phone call telling me the unlock code is in the post, free of charge.
Result!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

4 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Unlocking mobile phone

Perseverance Is a must these days, Good result..have a safe trip.
Community Veteran

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which is in contract from O2.  I asked them if they would agree an unlock prior to it being a year old and they said there was no objection. They contacted Samsung and got the code which they emailed to me. UK based CS as well Smiley
Community Veteran

Galaxy S2 locked to O2. I was lucky as I had been keeping an eye on Omnius as they developed "experimental support for reading unlock codes".
They had just recently updated it to cover the newer security of the latest S2's and emailed me to say it was free for a couple of days. The software was easy to use and it gave me the unlock code and the unfreeze code.
David_W
Rising Star

Phone unlocking is my current nightmare.  I own a Lumia 800 (fantastic phone that I'd not recommend to anyone even though it is a brilliant device) and am lucky enough to have the 2.3 hardware version for the Qualcomm bootloader which means the phone can be fully unlocked for custom firmware and other wonderful stuff.  Except I updated my phone using Nokia Care Suite which changed the bootloader to a Nokia one.  In the last week a way has come out to sim unlock the Lumia for free... it needs the Qualcomm bootloader!
Now, because my phone is new it's on the new Orange/T-Mobile network which means it's practically impossible to find an online unlock code for my phone, it's not locked to Orange and it's not locked to T-Mobile, it's locked to both of them (Everything Nowhere, err, Everywhere), Orange won't unlock it until the end of August but I'm on contract with Vodafone, so I have to wait another month and then pay Orange £25 to get the code to unlock my phone.  Unless the bright sparks at xda-developers (site worth visiting if you have a modern phone) figure out how to change the bootloader.