cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Time Off

Community Veteran

Unlimited Time Off

Richard Branson has put a new policy in place in his offices around the world. Initially affecting about 180 employees there is no control of the amount of time an employee can take off. It is left up to them to decide. Branson got the idea from Netflix where the policy works well.
Unlimited Time Off
Would this work in other companies?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Unlimited Time Off

Not here in the uk no. The country is too draconian and functions around profit and loss / getting rich.
Besides... he's a fine one to talk - just days ago he was in the press because Virgin Galactic is so many years behind schedule. He's put nobody into space yet despite several promises and revised dates. Imagine half his rocket scientists taking even more time off..  Crazy
I said a long time ago that Branson had lost it, I guess this proves i'm right.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I, and I suspect several others here already have unlimited time off.  Smiley
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Yup i too am on Unlimited time off  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Fixes: 122

I would be if SWMBO allowed it Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro

yep I get unlimited time off ...... not so great though being a darn site younger than most who have the same privilege ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
TORPC
Grafter

I fear one Mr Branston Branson has a pickled brain cell  Roll eyes Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

With comments like that he may not be the only one :BTW he is Sir Richard not Mr.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Not here in the uk no. The country is too draconian and functions around profit and loss / getting rich.
Besides... he's a fine one to talk - just days ago he was in the press because Virgin Galactic is so many years behind schedule. He's put nobody into space yet despite several promises and revised dates. Imagine half his rocket scientists taking even more time off..  Crazy

Yes, in the UK. Some of his staff are included in the original scheme. Do you really think the scheme would be implemented if it didn't benefit both company and employee. If you read the article it is already used at Netflix which is where Sir Richard got the idea.Because a company makes a profit doesn't make it a bad business. Companies have to make profit to create jobs, to grow and pay shareholders.
pwatson
Rising Star

I heard today of the experience at another US company where this is/was policy.  In reality it means that less leave is taken as people don't want to be seen as slackers or risk being accused of taking too much.
At least I know I've got 5 weeks to take each year without any questions asked...
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
If you read the article it is already used at Netflix which is where Sir Richard got the idea
Where his daughter got the idea and to be honest I don't think Sir Richard Branson cares for any keyboard warrior here, man's a billionaire which is more than most here will only dream of I commend him.
TORPC
Grafter

With comments like that he may not be the only one :BTW he is Sir Richard not Mr.

Semantics Tongue
Are you starting to be the correcting police again ?Huh
If so, it does not become you, as I thought you had grown out of such frivolities Wink
BTW  you never make mistake(s) do you Mr. Perfect
I forgot to ask
Are you my fairy godmother, that is attempting to help & keep me on the right educational path ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: 7up

Yes, in the UK. Some of his staff are included in the original scheme. Do you really think the scheme would be implemented if it didn't benefit both company and employee. If you read the article it is already used at Netflix which is where Sir Richard got the idea.Because a company makes a profit doesn't make it a bad business. Companies have to make profit to create jobs, to grow and pay shareholders.

Should have a question mark there artmo Wink
Branson doesn't always have these ideas himself. He does however often take up others ideas / coments. Also companies do not have to make a profit for the sake of shareholders. If you ask me shareholders are the modern evil putting their own profit over the quality of the product / service offered.
As I said, this country is too draconian for it to work in reality. Sure there may be the one or two that try and make it work but it's never going to be a big hit here purely because this country is always banging on about efficiencies, lost working hours and how to get more work out of people for less. Do you really now think that giving people as much time off as they want will go down well among the rich? (excluding branson - who is clearly on a positive advertising spin again). All the rich care about is stuff everyone else and more money please.
But of course.. I'm a poorman.. i know nothing!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!