Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal language

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Universal language

On a lighter note perhaps...
Back in the late 60's when I first started playing in a band (group's then) we had a bass guitarist (completely irrelevant point) who spoke reasonable Esperanto -the so called universal language- that was a quite popular movement around that time. He spoke it since his parents had embraced the idea of the language in quite a big way so, but rather than learning it formally, our bassist had picked it up from them. At times of practising some difficult musical parts (a bass player with musical difficulties!!!) he could be heard telling himself off sharply in what to our untrained ears was fluent Esperanto. Evidently, there are no curses or swear words in Esperanto (couldn't possibly comment on that)
Have any other of our correspondents here experienced Esperanto. or any ideas what happened to it as its hardly mentioned these days. 
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
38 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Universal language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto
from july 2008 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7505820.stm
http://www.esperanto-gb.org/
teach yourself  http://en.lernu.net/
I did some learning in the late 50's, but it didnt stick
jmd
Grafter

Way back in 50s I had a friend whose father taught Esperanto at a Seconday School - he also wrote books in it.  He was honoured in Poland for his services to the language.  You don't hear of it at all these days so not sure if anyone still uses it.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: Petlew
any ideas what happened to it as its hardly mentioned these days.  

Probably been replaced by English I would say.

Quote from: Petlew
(a bass player with musical difficulties!!!)

A bass player with musical anything Roll eyes A bass player follows the lead of the drummer who in turn follows anything in a skirt Roll eyes
In my personal experience.....
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Yes Strat, I concur, Drummers always seem to need a bevy of groupies to help dismantle and put all their equipment away, Lead singers also seem to attract them like a magnet as well (or at least ours did, we had six regular groupies -really WAGS of band members-) poor old lead guitarists didn't seem to attract that much attention at all sadly...
Edit: this must be the fastest off-post topic on record.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Maths is the only true universal language. Smiley

I disagree Thomas.
Music is the true universal language.

/Strat skillfully combines the on topic with the off topic
Community Veteran

Thus making off topic - on topic
How clever is that!  Cheesy
John
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Music is the true universal language.

It might be universal within Western civilisation, but it really isn't in terms of the whole world. For example, we know when watching a film that a low, quiet, rumbling bass line means that something not very nice is probably on the way. But would someone in an African tribe know that? Probably not, because it's interpretation derived from acquired knowledge of how the music 'works' in that culture. Maths however... anyone in any culture can understand that if they have 5 of something then double it, they end up with 10.

I would suggest that not everyone could do even that simple sum but everyone has the capability to appreciate music. You of all people should appreciate that Wink
I seem to recall a particular famous composer was deaf from an early age Undecided
Community Veteran

Must have been Vaughan Williams, it can be the only excuse for some of the stuff attributed to him!!

Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G
Maths however... anyone in any culture can understand that if they have 5 of something then double it, they end up with 10.

Not always...
Tongue
B.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I would suggest that not everyone could do even that simple sum but everyone has the capability to appreciate music.

Of course everyone can appreciate music... but the point is that everyone appreciates different music, therefore making it a non-universal language. A universal concept perhaps, but not a universal language. A universal language is something that can express the same idea to people irrespective of race, religion, culture and so forth... which music cannot do.
Petlew: what's wrong with Vaughan Williams?! He's one of the few actually decent composers Britain's ever had...

/Note to self. Try not to cross semantic swords with Be3G Wink Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G
Petlew: what's wrong with Vaughan Williams?! He's one of the few actually decent composers Britain's ever had...

Music can be so subjective, what pleases one is another's discordant row. VW often starts well (in my opinion) but seems to go off in a world of his own after a few pages of the score.
However I feel I have done Vaughan Williams a bit of a disservice. There are a few "modern" composers who's jangling discordant racket must please only the deaf.
I do tend to agree with Strat about music though...sorry Strat