Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Credit

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Universal Credit

I do not see how £1000 a month as a Universal Credit for everybody is an unreasonable amount, or why somebody on £50,000 should receive it. It's a utopion idea sure, and those with more than they need are not going support it either and let's face it, it is they that occupy positions of power, influence and policy.  

We know that wealth inequality is simply staggering not only here in the UK but across the globe and we know that if shared just a little more fairly by those Thatcherite 'wealth creators' we would all be better for it. The majority would have release from worry and the minority could still enjoy their wealth.

I hate to think at the cost of administering the benefits system and like many, despair at how it is done. Neither do I conflate those who are in reciept of State aid with those that defraud the State but there is a massive discrepency in how we target one sector of society and choose to ignore the other.

What a pity that human nature gets in the way of a fair society and who is to blame, well I guess we all are in our own way. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

If everyone was on £1000 a month why bother working ?

Assume that  a working person was on £ 20000 per annum, deduct tax, NI, cost of travel and all those 'extras' you need for work and how much difference are you left with compared to the the person on £1000 a month .

You would be working for a couple of pounds a hour.

Sure you say, raise the minimum working wage except the biggest expense for most companies is the cost of manpower and it is predicted that with increases in technology less workers will be needed in the future so forget increases in wages, or at least increases for the majority.

Money means power and power means you can make the rules, rules which will be to your benefit, so if you can't beat them join them otherwise you are (CENSORED)

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well you would work because you might need more than £1000 a month could provide. I would suggest that for many it would be just about enough for rent/mortage and bog standard basics. 

What is work these days anyway, labour intensive industries have all but gone, robots have taken over and human robots are either working for Amazon or delivering their parcels - in fact the latter will soon be done by those flying drones! 

Want a job for life? Train to be a plumber, or wangle yourself a job in politics. Wink

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

How about software that makes political decisions?  We could cast our votes electronically and the software would make leftist political decisions if there was a strong majority voting for parties on the left, likewise on the right.  It could even be programmed to closely mimic the actual number of votes cast for each party nationally rather than on a first-past-the-post basis.  It would be a perpetual coalition government giving the people exactly what they voted for.  AI is the future so why not in politics.  Those Oxbridge students currently reading PPE should perhaps do evening classes in plumbing just to be on the safe side .