Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universal Credit

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Universal Credit

Universal credit...looks like the system is working......for the scammers and fraudsters.

An estimated 20 million pounds lost to scams and even worse front line staff have been flagging this up for months yet no one in authority has taken action to stop it.

Scammers were even cheeky enough to use names like Bart Simpson & Ha Ha when making successful claims.

As with all scams the people who lost the most were those with the least who found their benefits stopped as a result of false claims made in their name.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 30

Re: Universal Credit

?Credible link - please not Daily Mail/Express/Sun types.

John
Highlighted
All Star
Fixes: 1

@jab1  BBC online news is that credible enough.

Is any one suprised though these scams have been going on years Angry

Highlighted
Community Veteran

BBC....6pm news. today.

I do accept some might argue that is not a credible source.

Highlighted
Hero

@TTman Suppose I'll have to accept it, although I don't even trust them to be 100% truthful these days.

Would have helped if the OP had quoted the source.

/EDIT he did - later.

John
Highlighted
Hero

Just to add:- UC is 'administered'/assessed by such as Capita, who use unqualified, and incompetent staff. I am aware of three cases, of people known to me personally, who had been declared ineligible by these clowns,when even to an intelligent outsider they were 100% genuine. One has severe MS, one has a condition known as adhesive arachnoiditis (Search it, a bit complicated to describe), and the other multiple physical and cognitive problems.

Fortunately, all three appealed and the decision reversed, but it should not have been necessary, their condition was obvious.

John
Highlighted
Fixes: 415

Years ago there was a scheme to offer the masses computer courses. It was funded by the British tax payer.

I know of someone who spent time in jail because he was signing up everyone he could whether they were interested or not.

Many could not even speak English very well.

The scam worked by collecting the small grant given to everyone who signed up and passing on 50% to the 'student', keeping the other 50%. A nice little earner until he was caught.

There's always someone ready to take advantage.

I've tried to be honest all my life and have said before, if it wasn't for people like me who would the bad guys steal off. 

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
All Star

@jab1  Lets  face it any goverment departments that are farmed out never do a good job...just as quickly and cheeply as posible then grab the money and goAngry

Highlighted
Hero

I agree, @TTman , but the three cases I mentioned, plus the many more reported in the press and the even greater number not reported, but acknowledged in government reports, indicate the scale of incompetence and the added cost of this 'cost-saving'.

John
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Seems to me it's a no win situation with fraudsters being disliked as much as claimants. It's certainly the dual default setting whenever such things as Universal Credit enters public discourse.

Is it fit for purpose anymore?

Beveridge I'm sure would be turning in his grave, so maybe it's beyond time when everybody regardless of situation but with an income (and this is just a suggestion) of say less than £50k a year, gets £1000 a month.

No claims, no stigma, no checking, no scams, no frauds and certainly no half baked private sector involved in it's adminstration. 

Highlighted
Hero

I don't see how you can lump genuine claimants with fraudsters, can you explain how you get to that, please? Renaming a benefit does not change the needs of those who need it.

It - UC - has never been fit for purpose, it has been introduced, badly and with little thought, to make life as difficult as possible for those who genuinely need support to obtain it, in a vain attempt to eradicate the invalid 'claimants'.

Where does the money come from to pay everyone with an annual income below your ludicrously high 50K come from? On that basis, I would have been getting it all my working life, and would need a lot more these days to maintain my lifestyle.

As regards your final paragraph, see above.

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Fortunately I have never needed to apply for UC.

The theory was that by combining various benefits it would be cheaper and easier for those who claimed.

It was tried in a few areas first to see how it worked but numerous problems were identified, why those problems were not sorted out before it was extended to other areas was totally wrong and was more about a political decision to press ahead due to money spent setting the system up.

Like a number of things in life it is more about what the government think is in your interests rather than what is in your interests.

Whilst I do not agree with the £1000 monthly sum mentioned by @Minivanman  It has been suggested by at least one group in the past that no one should pay tax who earns less than £24,000 a year but the tax burden would be shifted to non essential goods and a minimum sum of money would be paid to all.

The problem of course is that if wages were not high enough  and a minimum payment was guaranteed there would be no incentive to work.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@jab1 wrote:

@TTman Suppose I'll have to accept it, although I don't even trust them to be 100% truthful these days.

Would have helped if the OP had quoted the source.

/EDIT he did - later.

Using a desktop I have no problem copying and pasting links but do not find it as easy using a tablet.

I accept however I could have added BBC News.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@gleneagles 

"Using a desktop I have no problem copying and pasting links but do not find it as easy using a tablet"

Same here with that tablet, so if anyone can tell us how to do it it....  Smiley

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

even worse front line staff have been flagging this up for months yet no one in authority has taken action to stop it.

I worked for that outfit moons ago and even then there were a lot of suspicious names on application forms. I remember seeing several with the name of a certain religious god used as both the first and surname. It was a town where asylum seekers were often sent by the government and needless to say if you walked past them all out playing footie on the grass at the local park they'd all be dressed in the trendiest clothing, expensive watches etc.

Management in the civil service are always slow to get in phase with reality, they see it as a task that isn't really their problem, difficult to deal with at a political level and easier just to ignore until someone else brings it up - at which point they'll be right behind them backing the fact that something needs to be done. Until then it's easier to persecute our own good people and turn a blind eye to the hell that they're creating rather than raise that as another issue.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!