cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

United Airlines

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

United Airlines

I've just seen a video of some chinese fella being forcefully evicted from his plane seat. Basically beaten, head bashed against a chair and knocked unconscious apparently before being dragged off the plane. Somehow he apparently ran back onto it again covered in blood (not sure how that fits in with the unconscious thing though).

This is disgusting. It is legalised torture. Do you think Trump will fire a missile at Uniteds HQ?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: United Airlines

If a "grown up" has a hissy fit and refuses to leave there's not much else that can be done except drag them off.

He had the choice of complying and simply walking off, and then arguing his case.

Anonymous
N/A

Not true there wasn't much else that could have been done. They could have just 'turned the plane off' and said they weren't leaving until someone left the plane. Or they could have offered a better incentive to encourage one of the passengers already on the plane to give up their seat. Or they could have accepted that they'd got it wrong and found another way to get their crew members to where they needed to be.

if the passenger had complied to argue his case once off the plane, it would have left without him leaving him with no case to argue.

The way he was apparently treated was appalling.

Community Veteran

billnotben wrote:

If a "grown up" has a hissy fit and refuses to leave there's not much else that can be done except drag them off.

He had the choice of complying and simply walking off, and then arguing his case.

Well to be fair to the fella, it isn't his fault that united operate such a tight fisted business model is it.

They've sold many of those seats twice so thats just greed at work straight away.

Secondly if the seats are already paid for but passengers don't turn up they're already saving money - passenger and luggage weight means less fuel needs to be burned.

So if their business model relies on all seats being sold then why are they over selling? - This is the fault of united airlines not its passengers. Nobody is forcing them to gamble on its customers being ok with their seats being sold from under their noses.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

This is a sad case of the airline syndrome of treating customers like sheep.

United Airlines:

• Allowed the flight to be over-booked;
  • They let people on to the plane for the flight, knowing it was over-booked and not resolved;
  • They gave precedence to their own staff in terms of seating over fare paying passengers;
  • They could have put the flight crew on an alternate flight, either their schedule or another companies;
  • They could have offered better financial incentives for people to give up their seats;
  • they were then complicit in causing injury to a passenger over a civil contract law issue.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

I've just seen a video of some chinese fella being forcefully evicted from his plane seat. Basically beaten, head bashed against a chair and knocked unconscious apparently before being dragged off the plane. Somehow he apparently ran back onto it again covered in blood (not sure how that fits in with the unconscious thing though).

We have had a lot of this on TV here in the US. There has been no suggestion he was beaten, knocked unconscious or had his head bashed against a chair. Injuries to his face were caused when he fell whilst being deplaned. It was a very unfortunate incident.

It is very common for all airlines to overbook flights. They are aware there will be a number of 'no shows'. This normally causes no problem.

In recent days bad weather has caused problems to flights and this has meant planes and crew have had to be re-positioned . This could account for the airline having to get the 4 crew members, who worked for Republic Airways, to their destination. Had they not done so many more passengers would have been inconvenienced.

figgley
Grafter

Flying is for birds and morons, mate.

Having said that, I did once procure a return from Luton to Zurich for 21 quid so it isn't all bad, I suppose.

Steve
Pro

The real issue is that law enforcement was used against someone who wasn't breaking any law.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As far as I see it, passengers, who had places to be, were given the option to voluntarily leave the flight, with ever increasing cash temptations, so, the airline, after three passengers got off, decided to ip-dip the remaining passengers and force someone off, what their motivation was for selecting that fella, well, that'll be debated for the next month I'm sure, but suffice to say, he did not volunteer, and was taken against his will for doing no wrong other than wanting to get somewhere that he'd paid to travel to, and had every right to stay put.

figgley
Grafter

If I ever saw my doctor squeal like a little piggy, I'd change my surgery, geezer.

Not that I ever get ill, etc....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Over booking should be made illegal but I think United Airlines may have a policy that they offer to get you from A to B on a certain day but do not guarantee the flight.

When we were in Chicago airport I noticed we had priority boarding and others with tickets were not called to board until the group of us were on the plane. In America planes are treated like buses people just turn up on the day and expect to fly.

What happened to this chap was clearly wrong and I hope he gets a good lump sum of compensation. They should also sack the CEO for his inappropriate comments, the share price having dropped by 3%.

As said earlier over booking should be made illegal , it's not just airlines some holiday companies do it too, you book hotel x but when you arrive there is a problem and you get put in hotel y.

If you pay in advance for anything and do not get it that must be a breach of contract and the law needs to get tougher on these things

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well he might not  have got to his destination on time but as sure as eggs he's going to take United Airlines to the cleaners. What an appalling way to treat a passenger and what an appalling way to run a business.

United Airlines, you suck.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

OK maybe my initial take on this was completely wrong.

Community Veteran

artmo wrote:

7up wrote:

We have had a lot of this on TV here in the US. There has been no suggestion he was beaten, knocked unconscious or had his head bashed against a chair. 

Not according to a witness who was just on BBC news!

So tell me how exactly you know differently?