cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unemployment level highest since 1994

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Unemployment level highest since 1994

1990 to 1997 = John Major as prime minister.... (conservative party)...
  FROM WIKIPEDIA
Major's government was beset by scandals, crisis, and missteps. Many of the scandals were about the personal lives of politicians which the media construed as hypocrisy,

not much change then....... Embarrassed
( incidentally, when I was at school, (up to 1960) I remember a teacher telling us the "prime minister",  when it was originally coined, had the meaning " First Fool"...  Roll eyes
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Unemployment level highest since 1994

Watching this on the news tonight a number of employers said they were unable to find suitable candidates.
One employer said several young people he took on could not get out of bed in a morning, others turned up with a handful of certificates but were unable to do simple mathematics.
David_W
Rising Star

I remember back in the 90's, I left school and would go down to the job centre to look for jobs, people offering employment for the heady sum of 80p/hour, experience required.  These days, if I were an employer, on the job application I would put a few simple enough maths questions and state that further maths questions are to be asked in the interview.  Would be simple questions too like...
a piece of wood is 100cm by 10cm, calculate the area of the piece of wood
a customer has purchased three items, one priced at £4.99 and two priced at £3.49, he gives you a £20 note, how much change do you give him?
Then in the interview really hard questions....
we're having a 15% sale on all items, a man wants to purchase something worth £1,000, how much does he need to pay with the discount?
we have a delivery of 7 boxes, each box contains 3 columns and rows of items, how many items do we get in total?
Easy questions that can be answered by simple maths in your head, they would be the first questions I'd ask, if they can't answer them then I'd terminate the interview.
itsme
Grafter

and I have stopped an interview when the interviewer said that he was going to give me a test. He was taken aback and had an amazed look on his face as I walked away. But the real reason he kept me waiting for 45 minutes and did not apologies and I did not have enough time to do a test as I had a client or supplier visiting me at the company I was working for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
but were unable to do simple mathematics.

Without their calculators.
And fill in a form without my spell checker. You're having a laugh guv.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

nice graph here (interactive) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16175309
what was that old pre election poster plastered every where early 90's in blue ink?  you know how Labour works, not sure of the wording though
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I was asked an opinion on a question posed at a ‘pre-job’ test for a “field assistant”, (no qualifications  were asked for) but candidates must be conversation with OS maps, have good map reading, and compass skills and be prepared to walk 10kms per day over open moorland. It was for a casual position.
15 minutes were allowed to answer ten questions. Nine of the ten questions were pretty simple (what is located at Grid Ref x,y (mine shaft)? what does this (symbol) symbol represent (crags)? and if you travel from point x,y to point x1,y1 what will you be doing? (going uphill)).
The question that was supposedly difficult was ‘Ignore height differences and using OSGB calculate the distance in meters between point 412800, 385600 and point 411400, 385100 a pen, paper and calculator were supplied’  (Note the points were not on the OS map given as part of the test)
Some of the folk being interviewed complained about the question being too difficullt.
What do you think? was it too difficult?
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
nice graph here (interactive) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16175309
what was that old pre election poster plastered every where early 90's in blue ink?  you know how Labour works, not sure of the wording though

I think I remember the posters on the biggest hoardings the conservatives could find........
"Labour isn`t working".
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a little bit of Pythagoras  
sorry been out to lunch
The question that was supposedly difficult was ‘Ignore height differences and using OSGB calculate the distance in meters between point 412800, 385600 and point 411400, 385100 a pen, paper and calculator were supplied’  (Note the points were not on the OS map given as part of the test)

eastings 412800-411400 = 1400
nothings 385600-385100=400
assuming that this is the full osgb and not the grid square that give a triangle 400 metre high, by 1400 metre wide
the hypotenuse is square root of (1400x1400 + 400x400) =1456 metre
Community Veteran

I don' t know if things have changed that much. The above reminds me of a work experience engineering student I had to help out at work.
I was used to using log books to work out trig and scientific calculators had just taken off so I was amazed how easy they made things.
The problem that had him stumped was simply working out the coordinates of six equally spaced holes for jig boring.
That said a decade or so later many new apprentices, though they seemed to have passed their school tests, seemed to lack any understanding of using maths to work out real life problems.
Isn't that what many employers are now complaining about, that they have to give their employees basic education as well as job training?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@pierre, easy? how long did it take with a calculator couple of minutes?.
@billnotben, think you hit the nail on the head, "knowledge" and applying that "knowledge" are often way apart.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the squares were easy, but its a long time since I did square roots, the rest  was definitely from memory, wasnt sure about the grid refs as some of the things I do for some reason go down more than 1 metre, i.e. MS Autoroute, I use maps a fair amount so know the major grid is 1kM
itsme
Grafter

and what bearing do you have to take to get from the first point to the second?
Community Veteran

Whatever bearing it was, it has driven this thread completely off course !  Cheesy (again  Roll eyes )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
and what bearing do you have to take to get from the first point to the second?

you work it out  http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/shapes/trigonometryrev4.shtml