nadger
Rising Star

Unemployed pay higher car premiums

Just seen this on BBC site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16652779
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Unemployed pay higher car premiums

Employment status has always been a factor in working out motor insurance. Some occupations such as publicans, journalists etc carry an automatic loading so I assume unemployment will be viewed in the same way.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

This has been true for a LONG time. I usually put my occupation as Househusband  Undecided rather than unemployed - esp as I don't sign on. But last year it was actually cheaper to say I was unemployed  Shocked (Not much but every £ counts)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I never thought of that!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Money Saving Expert web site gave me that tip.
Community Veteran

I wonder what would happen if the insurance company found out Undecided  I would imagine if it's been on MSE they will be aware of it anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

YEah but in fairness if you've declared being a house husband, what can they do about it? - it's such a loose description of your daily activity and not exactly a lie if you're at home is it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Personally I've never put anything except my trade/business on the insurance form.
I've never mentioned whether or not I'm actually employed. I would imagine that with many people that could change virtually every month and don't see why insurance company's would want to know any more.
I can see certain instances where your employment may matter like if you are a reporter or such, as already mentioned, but that would already be covered under the heading of  "will the vehicle be used for business or pleasure?".
nadger
Rising Star

I recall, when I listened a lot to BBC local radio, that the presenters paid hefty motor premiums as they were in the entertainment business.