cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underground food farms

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Underground food farms

Growing food underground in old coal mines sounds daft.............but..... There is a interesting article on the BBC news site that gives a fair bit of details about it.

The claim is that it is far cheaper to grow some crops underground....and... this is already being done.

Amazing !

6 REPLIES
Marksfish
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Underground food farms

Wondering how it will be cost effective with the amount of light needed for photosynthesis, unless they are growing mushrooms Smiley What about the carbon footprint for the lighting that will be needed? Still water probably won't be a problem, so should be pretty drought resistant.

Mark

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Little variation in the tempature underground, Led lighting is now fairly cheap.

If they are already doing it the cost must be known and the claim it that it a lot cheaper.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@gleneagles wrote:

Growing food underground ..........................

Amazing !

When I were a lad..... my dad told me about this.... he said....  If you plant that potato there and cover it up. it will grow into a big plant with lots of nice new potatoes on it..... and... he also said.... you can do the same with

Carrots

Beetroot

Parsnip

Leeks

Onions

........................   Amazing ! !  Cheesy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If it catches on will they expand by digging out more coal to enlarge the tunnels?

Then will they say now we've dug out all this coal..................................

Jonpe
Champion
Fixes: 7

I wonder whether Arthur Scargill will represent the plants and demand better conditions or they'll stop growing.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If it's left up to him he'll lead them all straight to the chopping board.