cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under Floor Heating

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Under Floor Heating

With respect to my previous post, about it possibly getting colder, due to the large cold storm in the USA at the moment... there was a report that over 50 flights had to be diverted/cancelled due to snow on the runway at New York Airports

Just wondering why they haven`t invested in "under floor heating" for the runways, it would keep them open... and give the snowplough teams more time to clear away the taxiways, and other service areas...

Apparently it is -16C at Chicago O`hare airport at this moment in time...

3 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Under Floor Heating

Not so sure about the cost of keeping that going, but I wonder if some sort of geothermal system would fit the bill..... otherwise it's going to be a big one Wink 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, it`s not going to be on 24/7/365    and if you total up the amount of landing and take off fees that are cancelled due to cancelled flights,... that cost should just about even out over the period of time it would need to be used.  those take off and landing fees could include an "element" to subsidise the cost of running it, as the airlines themselves would also benefit, by not having to pay for alternative transport/hotel bills, compensation claims, etc..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I remember sitting in a New York taxi cab heading for JFK airport on a Friday afternoon watching the snow come down. I was thinking they were going cancel all flights and that I might have to find a hotel. I got on the last plane allowed to fly out. 

The plane was loaded and was pushed back from the "sky walk" by an airport tug. However it only went about 10 feet before the tug's wheels lost grip. We spent the next four hours in the plane just feet away from the airport building. They de-iced the plane four  separate times before we eventually took off, high on de-icer fumes.

The trouble with runway heating in New York is that when it snows you often get several inches of snow in a couple hours. You'd need a lot of heat to shift that load.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.