cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Un)Healthy eating with Delia

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

(Un)Healthy eating with Delia

I just came across this press release and I am surprised at the amount of salt included in Delia's latest quick recipes. linky taken from http://www.hyp.ac.uk/cash/
As a low salt fan I agree but what do others think
4 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: (Un)Healthy eating with Delia

well unfortunately a lot of ready prepared food does have a lot of salt so you have to be careful - but for some people it is dangerous I agree.  Delia is using things to make life easier for families and such and her receipes are generally good but I think there should be an awareness of the salt situation mentioned.
Actually, when you look at her older recipes - she used lots of butter etc so a lot of her recipes are not good for people!
Having said that - there are some lovely dishes in her books!
This goes for other cookery books too by various chefs....................
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not to mention Jamie Oliver who always seems to add a chunk of freshly ground sea salt
Captainkirk
Grafter

I have never liked the taste of salt - if added on something like chips it always makes me feel sick!!  Consequently I never add salt to cooking or to recipes (unless fresh bread where it's needed).  The kids have grown up used to this and neither of them add salt to their food at all.  Personally, like the link Oldjim provided says, I think that good fresh ingredients do not need the addition of salt (I know the chefs out there will probably shoot me Smiley )
Tracey
Bob_Milton
Grafter

Lets hope that the old salt, shutter gives us the benefit of his wisdom.