Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Ullo mate! fancy a new motor ?

Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

'Ullo mate! fancy a new motor ?

Top car makers such as Range Rover, BMW and Volkswagen knew for years vehicles were a security risk… but kept quiet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5666523/The-car-thefts-cover-car-makers-knew-vehicles-securi...

Range Rovers were quietly fitted with new technology to prevent keyless car theft last month but its makers didn't publicise it to avoid acknowledging that older models were at risk.

A good old fashioned steering wheel locking cover would help prevent this happening.

As would a concealed isolation switch.

We keep our car keys in our lead lined panic room.....

(Only kidding !)

We keep ours in one of those small hotel like metal safes, with the door closed and usually locked, to provide a metal shield against wireless access to the key fobs. (Faraday cage)

The safe is bolted down, at a convenient height.

A gravel drive and large noisy dogs helps deter would be car thieves, any prospective thieves for that matter.

15 REPLIES
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: 'Ullo mate! fancy a new motor ?

Your car sounds safer than the wife and kids. Wink

Why not just lock it in the garage?

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

I can't fit them all in !!

More cars than Garages !

harrym1byt
Rising Star

Any metal box will prevent the keys being remotely scanned, even a bit of cooking foil over the keys will work.

An isolation switch would only prevent the car being driven away, it would not prevent the car being winched onto a low loader or access being gained to steal items in the car.

Likewise with your contactless bank cards...

If you line the outer pocket of a folding wallet containing such cards with some cooking foil, it prevents them being skimmed in your pocket. Better/ more flexible than cooking foil, is the metallised plastic, such as that they supply ready ground coffee in.  I have a piece of that, cut down to a bit bigger than a bank note, in the outer note pocket of my wallet. 

Community Veteran

I've 4 metres of Mark 1 hardened steel 3/8 inch chain wrapped around the steering wheel and pedals of my Audi. All secured with a strong Abloy padlock.

Edit: I do have a garage, but it is too secure. It is so narrow you cannot enter/leave the Audi when it is in the garage.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 223

i've just got a car that no one wants to nick and uses a good old fashioned key Wink

Customer / Moderator / If it helped click the thumb / If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@dvorak

Thumbs Up

I had more bother with my new company vehicles when I was working than I've ever had with my ten year old second hand Fiesta.

Quite honestly it was a pain in the proverbial having windows or locks broken and stuff nicked - it must have happened at least half a dozen times, including twice outside of the house. 

Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@Infinity wrote:

Top car makers such as Range Rover, BMW and Volkswagen knew for years vehicles were a security risk… but kept quiet.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5666523/The-car-thefts-cover-car-makers-knew-vehicles-securi...

Range Rovers were quietly fitted with new technology to prevent keyless car theft last month but its makers didn't publicise it to avoid acknowledging that older models were at risk.

A good old fashioned steering wheel locking cover would help prevent this happening.

As would a concealed isolation switch.

BMW admits it is powerless to stop thieves using gadgets which are widely available online from stealing its latest keyless models.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5672555/BMW-admits-powerless-stop-thieves-using-gadgets-stea...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Left my old banger unlocked last night, and it's still there this morning.

You can't trust anybody these days. 

Community Veteran

You can't beat old tech.

Fixes: 100

An old friend of mine never locked his car.

He would say if the naughty people want to get in and it's locked then they will break a window which I have to pay for.

The inside of his car was always a tip and I couldn't imagine any self respecting thief wanting to get inside to see if there was anything worth stealing.

Customer and Forum Moderator.

Community Veteran

My old mate wanted someone to nick his car but no one ever did.

He even left it outside a pub with the motor running while he went in for a pint.

He was disappointed to see it still chugging away when he came out.

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Before I was married I had a second hand MG midget it was my pride and joy, some joker decided to take a fancy to the 8 track player, but instead of just unpopping the sides of the soft top to open the door, they smashed the hinge off the quarter light it took quite a few visits to the scrap yard to eventually find a replacement quarter light Angry  

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Those quarter lights were just too tempting for some - as for those Midgets, didn't they have the same engine as the Austin A30, but with double SU carbs?

Had a rather sad looking MGB soft-top m'self. Happy days though. Smiley

P.S. And one only overplayed Tubular Bells 8 track tape!

2u2me
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes I believe it was 1275 cc twin su carbs, the 8 tracks I seem to remember playing the most were David Bowie ( Aladdin Sane) 

and Roxy Music ( For your Pleasure) happy days (apart from the break in)    Smiley