Community Veteran

Ukulele Orchestra Performs a Classic

A different interpretation of a classic movie theme. Interesting Smiley

The good, the bad and the ugly
14 REPLIES
SRD
Grafter

Re: Ukulele Orchestra Performs a Classic

Fantastic and all done deadpan.  One of the best night's out; we've seen them three times now and they're just as funny whether in a village hall or a symphony concert hall.  My own favourites are Anarchy in the UK (
-T7Y8 ) which they do as a lullaby and Wuthering Heights (
)in the style of The Temperance Seven.
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I've been hoping to see them live for some time - still hoping they get north of Edinburgh/Glasgow some day.
Love that track, artmo, and another fave is 'You Don't Bring me Flowers'.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wonderfully entertaining. Take a look at "Orange Blossom" further down the list.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Yes, I agree.  There's some very innovative music to listen to there Smiley
Community Veteran

4 see, here's a few of their dates that they have coming up:
Forthcoming dates
Community Veteran

When I first saw this thread it got the ole' grey matter stirred up. Following an appearance on GMTV some while ago by the UOoGB, and my apparent delight, my daughter-in-law (who was there at the time) arranged for her two very young children to give me one each of their (2 available) CD's for Christmas. We very very rarely play CD's in this house, and they got filed to a pile of things to do where, they eventually found their way to the bottom! But, they have been unearthed now, still in their cellophane wrappers and moved to the car where they will get played.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

You're right Petlew they've not done much on CD.  Anyone interested can find their recordings here at the Amazon link:
CDs
Community Veteran

Its a shame they haven't released (or made) any DVD recordings (as far as I know) they're as much a visual delight as audio. Nice to see an act actually enjoying themselves.

Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Anyone interested can find their recordings here at the Amazon link:

Oddly, not all the customer reviews are waxing lyrical about them.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

and a better link for the tour dates would have been theirown web site, it has a lot more UK venues  http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ShowPage.aspx?PageID=9&SessionKey=
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Petlew
Its a shame they haven't released (or made) any DVD recordings...

One, in 2005  http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ItemDisplay.aspx?ItemID=34
Not young enough to know everything
SRD
Grafter

And you can get a recording of their Prom concert from last year at their website: http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ItemDisplay.aspx?SessionKey=&ItemID=20809
I tend to agree with those reviewers who have seen them live, they do need to be seen as well as heard.  But most of the Amazon reviewers just didn't understand that they are a group of reasonably talented musicians who do an entertainment act, their playing shouldn't be taken too seriously and is full of irony, facetiousness and bitchery which doesn't come over all that well on a simple audio recording.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4
One, in 2005  http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main/ItemDisplay.aspx?ItemID=34

Was very tempted, but didn't think the credit card order looked very secure, so pulled out before entering card details, it may well be Ok of course. Doesn't seem to be any other way of contacting the company. Or did your link simply go to the order page within a much more "regular" website?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

it goes to an HTTPS secure Yellowbus page