cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uber has or will lose their London License ("Shock Horror, London transport system under attack!")

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Uber has or will lose their London License ("Shock Horror, London transport system under attack!")

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

Uber will not be issued a new private hire license, Transport for London has said.

TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.

Uber's approach and conduct demonstrated a lack of corporate responsibility which could have potential public safety and security implications, it said.

Uber has 21 days to appeal, during which it can continue to operate.

Alternative thread title added as I liked it

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Uber has or will lose their London License

Dang it, I was going to post that under the title "Shock Horror, London transport system under attack!"

My son uses Uber quite a lot in South East London where the Black Cabs usually refuse to venture.  Up here in Derbyshire I've tried Uber a few times, but they've never yet been able to find a car.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Uber = big. Big = money in bank. Money in bank = legal fight. Legal fight = win.

Uber won't go anywhere soon, they can't afford to lose london.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

A friend of mine joked that someone had been paid off by the black cab drivers.
It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case for someone senior at TfL.

Never used them, but being south of the river and around 17 miles South East London from Central London, if a black cab were to take me home it would be pricey I suspect. Better try and win the lottery Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Alex wrote:

A friend of mine joked that someone had been paid off by the black cab drivers.
It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case for someone senior at TfL.:

Moons ago I worked for a large council that runs a few park and ride sites where the busses are contracted from stagecoach by the council. The contract came up for renewal, rumours were rife that the stagecoach managers were playing golf with the council manager responsible for the contract (my boss) and that he was also known to go out to dinner with them at restaurants etc.

It was a done deal everyone was saying. Funny thing is that when stagecoach didn't get the contract again but another company did, nobody had a word to say on the subject.

My point is rumours are rumours.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Yes of they can course they can be, but I am sure it does happen at other places.