Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Music in Car

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

USB Music in Car

A recent convert to playing MP3 USB Music through the Car Stereo.
The radio reception for FM and DAB is pants round here.
Previously, I would replay music off CD though the car radio, whilst retaining TA and TP local traffic announcements.
I took the plunge and recorded various MP3 tracks onto a USB Drive, there is a discreet USB input away from the Radio, under the dashboard.
Music is good, the USB drive is controlled by the steering wheel radio controls, volume, track, album, all is good.
And the local traffic announcements pause the music, and pick up after the announcement, or when I cancel it.
Anyone else do this ?

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: USB Music in Car

Oh Yes. I still buy CD's, they tend to only ever see the CD player once now, they get ripped onto a NAS and put away. I have a USB HDD in both cars they both contain my entire CD collection.
All VW Group cars, have something they call the MDI port it is in the glove box or arm rest, you can attach a USB drive on that, again all the track controls are on the steering wheel, changing folder though is not so easy, think you have to press buttons on the head unit to do that. So I leave that to the passenger.
With MDI, you can also create your own playlists, but this is not very clever or intuitive, you just create a text file with a list of the filenames you want to play, creating the list is tedious and error prone, I gave up.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Fixes: 105

car has an iPod interface and still manages to pick up TA whilst using it.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ben doing that for quite a few years now in my Honda Civics. The only slight drawback is that the iMid display just shows 'track 01' or example instead of the mp3 tag info.
No big deal for me though, works exactly as you describe with ta cutting in where necessary any you have full steering wheel remote control.
My latest Civic has an onboard HDD for storing music but that doesn't work as well as it doesn't jump to the next album like usb.'
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Meh, i've only just got the 6 disc CD changer working that has been dead for the last 6 or 7 years... you expect me to be upto date with mp3 and usb inputs? lol
No seriously.. as out of date as they are, CD changers are just incredibly cool! You gotta love all the mechanical bitses clicking about in the boot lol.
As for external input, well.. smartphone and a cassette tape adapter seems to do the job well enough for me! Plug the tape converter into the phone and job done. No expensive stereo worth nicking but still got the same functionality.
Ultimately I would like to install a car computer into the beast and hook it up to the built in sat nav screen but i can't be dealing with that for the time being so i'll just stick with the tried and trusted!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, in my trusty old Skoda... I used to have a MP4 player, that I could watch music videos on... and it was a brilliant piece of kit... unfortunately, it went to the scrapyard with the rest of the car, when I bought my new Skoda..
This one has Bluetooth in , also a CD player.. and facilities to plug in USB or other external players... I got a new MP4 player and loaded up all my favourite music videos, and it works just fine with the four speakers in the new car.. much better quality BOOM BOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM coming from the door panels !.. 
Community Veteran

I have a cassette player in mine.
My car doesn't even have ABS (although it does have electric front windows and aircon)
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
much better quality BOOM BOOM BOOOM BOOOM BOOOM coming from the door panels !.. 

Grin Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: godsell4
All VW Group cars, have something they call the MDI port it is in the glove box or arm rest,

That is not correct. perhaps newer model have this. We have three VAG cars and none have this system
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Agreed, my late 2008 Polo doesn't have one of these.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Agreed, typing was not keeping up with my brain, I meant to type something like 'all recent VW cars in the last couple of years'. They can be retrofitted fairly easily, the MDI is almost a little MP3 player which is connected on the CAN bus which can be controlled from most RCDXXX model numbered head units.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Quote from: godsell4
They can be retrofitted fairly easily, the MDI is almost a little MP3 player which is connected on the CAN bus which can be controlled from most RCDXXX model numbered head units.

Can you explain what this means, I would like to play MP3s in the car?
Fixes: 125

My 2013 Zafira doesn't have anything fancy - just a CD (mp3) player that can be controlled from the steering wheel and a radio.
It does have a 3.5 jack input to connect a smartphone's headphone socket to play music from that but haven't tried it yet. I can probably get a cable for around £3 or £4 but wondered what sort of quality I could expect? The standard CD and radio is pretty good.
Using the smart phone does give me access to many more tracks but, of course, it wouldn't be possible to change while driving unless I have a passenger.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
but wondered what sort of quality I could expect?

The same quality as you'd get if you listened to the device through headphones... Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
It does have a 3.5 jack input to connect a smartphone's headphone socket to play music from that

Lucky git!!!  Wink
And there was me thinking the cassette adapter was the ultimate hack  Cheesy