cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US healthcare ?

Community Veteran

US healthcare ?

I just wonder why it has taken so long for one of the supposedly most advanced countries in the world to provide decent health care for all their citizens.
At least now Barrack Obama is doing something about it.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8196007.stm
Seems to me that after the bankers have been so exposed - it's time the health insurance companies were taken to task too.
88 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: US healthcare ?

Interesting piece in the telegraph about this linky
Community Veteran

I heard a radio report today that some US opponents were citing the NHS as an example of how it will all go wrong - with elderly people being denied healthcare.
(I do wonder how many elderly Americans can afford the insurance and what happens to those who can't pay....)
Anyway, I have to say that my recent experience, with 2 elderly relatives in their 90's, would totally contradict that.
In fact the oldest (9Cool fell and broke a hip a few months ago and is now up and about and still living at home, indeed we helped her attend hospital this week for an eye check which has resulted in dual cataract surgery being offered (at her choice) among many other very supportive processes.
Community Veteran

In the article I linked to it discusses that criticism of the NHS
Quote from: HPsauce
(I do wonder how many elderly Americans can afford the insurance and what happens to those who can't pay....)
many of them try to afford it by working on into their seventies and even eighties. You see them working in supermarkets and convenience stores. I find it quite upsetting to see it
Community Veteran

Quote from: Santiago
In the article I linked to it discusses that criticism of the NHS

Yes but that was from the UK. The report I heard was US-based.
Community Veteran

Oh ok got my wires crossed.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce

Retired Americans are looked after by the Medicare system. 
The US system is good if you have insurance but without it then you will struggle.  Many employers are cutting back on their contributions and employees often can't afford to make up the short fall. 
Community Veteran

if we had a state that did not bend over backwards to support 'those in need' or 'claim they are in need, so cant really work can i guv, please give me £400/week to survive from the age of 18 till I die'  maybe we have more of a work ethic in this country, i dont mind paying to taxes to help those who try to help themselves as best they can. but we have too many leechers. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Err, that came a bit out of left field......... (off topic?)  Crazy
Community Veteran

Agree with you there godsell4.  Far too many hangers on with their hands in our pockets. Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
Retired Americans are looked after by the Medicare system. 

Sort of but they still have to contribute.
Friend of mine works for an American Health insurance company and sells medical insurance to over 65s. I just had this chat with her
Brian
what is provided for retired people by the government
Meg
well.... in short, not enough is provided the govt. how much detail do you want?
Brian
are all retired people covered automatically by medicare
Meg
Medicare is the govt subsidy that assists the elderly with medical costs. It's not retirement that qualifies a person, it is their age, 65 unless on Social Security for a disability
a person must enroll in Medicare and the basic hospitalization and such is covered under what they call Part A. Dr visits and such are covered under Part B for an additional cost. I believe Social Security deducts $90.53 per month from the person's social security distribution which covers this.
then, these individuals may purchase additional insurance, i.e., me, for of course, an additional cost!! anywhere from about $70 to $200 per month plus the $90.53.... there are also other plans, thru the govt which are costly but seamless.
Brian
so that is why older people  have to continue working to be able to afford their healthcare
Meg
yep! it's horrible. If they have to go into a nursing facility, the nursing facility attaches all income for that person until it is exhausted at which time the person becomes eligible for state assistance, called Medicaid. They can suck a person dry.
Brian
Interesting, thanks for explaining that to me
Meg
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10043.html
this is an extensive site if you are at all interested in knowing more and I'm around if you need me!!!
You are always welcome.
don't forget, throughout our working lives, 15% of our income is taken and applied 1/2 to Social Security and the other half to Medicare so that when we become eligible, we are sort of getting our own money back but paying more... it sucks.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/aug/12/healthcare-town-halls-obama for what the lunatic right think of work ethics etc...

Community Veteran

Santiago, thanks for filling in the details about Medicare.  In fairness most of the retired Americans I know are ex professionals or military and they have been well looked after for their medical needs.
As I said in my earlier post if you are covered then you have the best medical cover in the world. Unfortunately this is not the case if you cannot afford to pay for insurance.  It is this group of people that Obama is trying to deal with.  It was tried by Clinton, who put Hilary in charge of reform, but it got nowhere. In the present economy I don't see Obama getting much further.
Community Veteran

A few points - thanks for info guys:
1) Artmo - yes I know the finantial climate is very poor - but when was the UK NHS set up - was the climate booming then ? - no it was in a very poor way after WWII - yet we managed it.
2) - this is a classic clash between the rich and poor - the rich say why should we subsidice that lot - I'm all right jack sort of attitude, and it the self interest of the insurance sector which drives the campaigning becuase they know they will looses out.
3) Yes we have hangers on - people who scronge on our system - but no system is perfect. Why should the vast m,ajority of the less well paid suffer for the mispractises of the minority.
4) does anyone know off hand what health systems are still similar to the USA, at least in the 1st world such as Europe, Australasia, Japan, Canada, etc.

Community Veteran

When the NHS was set up there was little opposition to it.  Many in the medical profession went along with it although there were objections.  In the US there are 2 main groups against it.  One is the drug companies that are pouring millions into opposing Obama.  The second group is the health insurance industry (HMOs).  These are very powerful groups and they were the ones that killed Hilary's plans.  Obama has a battle on his hands and it's to be hoped he doesn't take his eye off his other problems in trying to force through his health care reform.