cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US congresswoman is shot in head

Steve
Pro

US congresswoman is shot in head

US congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords is in a critical condition after being shot in the head while a nine-year-old girl and at least two others have been killed after an assailant opened fire as the Democrat was meeting constituents in Arizona, congressional officials said.
The officials said one of the victims, an aide to Ms Giffords, died soon after the attack and others injured in the attack were taken to a nearby hospital. A US Marshal confirmed that district Judge John Roll also died.
One official added the attack was carried out with an automatic weapon. US Capitol police say the gunman, who has been identified as Jared Laughner, is in custody.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155793492
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: US congresswoman is shot in head

Well, it did make me wonder if now they are shooting elected representatives rather than school children, if the elected representatives might now consider gun control.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Remember the quote from actor Charlton Heston when the gun lobby was trying get the rules changed a short while before he died "his gun would have to be wrenched from his cold dead hands before he would give up his right to bear arms" right or wrong there's an awful lot of resistance to giving up that right in the states.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I don't think the states will ever willingly give up guns. I think you'd have a higher chance of seeing Russia give up its nuclear deterrent to be honest and thats never going to happen is it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Well it appears from the US forums I read, and from news reports from the US by foreign correspondents that the US is actually getting very acrimonious about all this (the shootings) with Liberals and Conservative camps accusing each other of being responsible in one form or another... It doesn't help that Sarah Palin published a "hit list" using gun targets and cross hairs for the graphics, and tweets about conservatives "reloading"...
I think the situation in the US *could* get very ugly in terms of I think the left and right are becoming both polarized, the rhetoric is full of violent imagery, and this nutter could just be the start of something larger.  The US is loosing its dominance in the world (it still has a huge amount, but today its less than it was even 10 years ago, and its only going to continue to decline) and that increasing weakness whilst hugely reliant on international trade, loans and money inflows what the US is also having to get used to is loosing the ability to set even their domestic agenda.
That double whammy of loss of power and prestige at home and abroad, combined with their arrogance (which they used to have the undoubted power to carry) and their fear of any way that isn't "their" way makes the US volatile, and at the moment they seem to be turning that fear, hatred and volatility inwards on themselves.
It's sad, very sad.  In this light, it makes me look at the second world war and its aftermath as somewhat of blessing for the UK, forcing us (relatively) quickly to comes to terms with the huge loss of power and influence, whilst also giving us a real national vision for rebuilding and restructuring within the country.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Am I correct in thinking that it is only some states in America that allow the public to have guns ?
There are certainly some states that do not allow the consumption of Alcohol irrespective of your age !
Community Veteran

Different states have different gun rules, but all states allow people to have guns.
Community Veteran

during the war the slogan 'careless talk costs lives' was read, marked, learned and inwardly digested by the whole population.  the shooting of an elected representative is the expected result of such careless talk issuing from the teabaggers.
like the vast majority of any population, most americans are sensible and responsible in their gun use, but a constitutional right to own a firearm allows any unstable individual to own and use a gun with the inevitable tragic results.
Community Veteran

Most States do not allow the carrying of weapons on view but do allow what is called concealed carry.  One of the strictest places is NY which is covered by both State and Federal Law.
All States have their own laws and anyone travelling with a gun has t be aware of the different laws between States.
In practice any applicant for a gun licence is now required to pass a competency test.
itsme
Grafter

Are you sure that right? From watching US police programmes I hear people being charged for carrying a conceal weapon. A quick google it seem to me that 48 states allow conceal weapons but only with a permit to carry conceal weapons.
Community Veteran

Isn't that what i said Undecided Undecided
itsme
Grafter

No because I believe it's not a problem carrying weapons on view but having them concealed, hence the need to have a permit for concealed weapons.
Community Veteran

You're wrong.  Weapons cannot be visible for obvious reasons.  If you carry a weapon it has to be concealed.  In a car it has to be locked if in the glovebox.  Some States also insist the weapon is not loaded if left away from the owner.  I have a number of friends who I know carry guns but you wouldn't know that from talking to them.
Obviously different rules apply if you are using a rifle for example as this will generally be used in a business way, on a farm or hunting.
Community Veteran

When we visited Texas a few years ago, my boys (who were very young at the time) were fascinated by the guns, and said to the customs officer they'd seen them.  He said that different states have different laws, and that in Texas, you were permitted to have a gun, but it had to be out of view, whereas in Arizona you could only carry a gun if it was in view. very confusing.
John
Community Veteran

Even more confusing when you read the update in respect of Arizona:
On April 16, 2010, governor Jan Brewer signed into law a bill that legalizes the carrying of concealed firearms and other weapons in most places without a permit for adults over 21 years of age. Arizona will still issue concealed carry permits for purposes of reciprocity for carrying concealed weapons in other states and permits will still be required for carrying in certain sensitive areas within Arizona such as in bars or on school grounds. Open carry without a permit will still be legal in most places for 18-20 year-olds, and for emancipated juveniles.