cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Open Tennis

Community Veteran

US Open Tennis

The US Open Tennis starts today at Flushing Meadows in New York.  Murray is defending his title but I'm putting my money on Djokovic to win.
Laura Robson is also playing today. It's the first time she has been in the elite group at Flushing Meadows.  Good luck to her Smiley Smiley
26 REPLIES
randpwar
Grafter

Re: US Open Tennis

Absolutely artmo. Also, don't forget Dan Evans who faught his way through 3 rounds of qualifying to make the main draw. Coming on the back of two Challemger finals it means he's really breaking through
itsme
Grafter

Where does the BBC get their reporters from?
However, after Dominguez Lino was broken in the second game of the second set, Robson found her best form to take the match with ease.
Robson, 19, will play fifth seed Li Na of China in the next round.
Community Veteran

Britain's Dan Evans claimed a shock 6-4 6-4 6-2 victory over 11th seed Kei Nishokori to progress to the second round of the US Open at Flushing Meadows.
The 23-year-old qualifier was up against a player ranked 167 places higher than him but looked a class above his Japanese opponent.

Laura Robson beat Lourdes Dominguez Lino 7-5 6-0 to reach the second round of the US Open.

Comments from Sky Sports.
Community Veteran

Andy Murray had an easy win in his first match last night.
Murray
randpwar
Grafter

A straight forward according to the reports I've read, though Llorda is one of the last serve and volley players making it an interesting match to watch apparently.
Dan Evans is 3rd up today against the Aussie Tomic. Murray v Evans in the Final anyone? Perhaps not, my money's on Nadal, he's had an incredible return from injury
Community Veteran

Dan Evans did it Cool  1-6 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 6-3 against Bernard Tomic.
Good Result
kdoug007
Grafter

thought laura  robson played  well against garvas,,,
Community Veteran

Yes Robson has really come on in the past year.
I can't think Murray is too pleased with the timing of his matches so far.
randpwar
Grafter

I think I’m correct in saying that the US Open is the only slam that still has first round matches played on the Wednesday. This means that the players drawn to play on that day have only 13 days to win 7 matches to win the tournament whereas, of course, those playing on the first day, get 15 days. To make it worse, Murray didn’t get on the court until about 10pm local time so I guess he really has just 12 and a half days. Also, the weather forecast was quite bad for Wednesday and rained earlier in the day so he could have been starting on the Thursday with the prospect of two matches on the same day; not a great way to treat your defending champion making him wait until the Wednesday night to start especially at an event not exactly unaccustomed to rain delays.
In his accustomed professional way he appears just to have shrugged his shoulders and got on with it; maybe helped by an initially decent draw
I don’t think I’d be too happy either if I was the defending champion and a leading contender. I read one article where he said that he was asked which days he’d prefer to start and answered ‘Tuesday’. 
I guess you could also argue that starting on the Monday and then having to wait to Thursday for your next game isn’t great either. I don't think the US Open is as well organised when compared to the other slams
Community Veteran

The other Slams play most of their opening matches in the first 2 days.  The US has always spread theirs over 3.  It's possibly something we've not noticed so much until this year with Murray's involvement.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: randpwar
I guess you could also argue that starting on the Monday and then having to wait to Thursday for your next game isn’t great either. I don't think the US Open is as well organised when compared to the other slams

Money, they seem to have sessions during the day with different paying crowd unlike Wimbledon were it's done per day.
Community Veteran

Yes they have 2 sessions which can be a nightmare to clear the stadia from one session and fill it again. Of course the big matches generally are scheduled for the second session for TV etc.
Community Veteran

Laura Robson couldn't repeat last year's performance and lost to Li 6-2 7-5.
Community Veteran

Dan Evans unfortunately got knocked out of the US Open but defending champion Andy Murray soldiers on with a straight sets win over Mayer.
Murray Wins
This win puts Murray in the last 16 together with Djokovic.