cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Laws

tinto
Grafter

US Laws

There was a thread here a day or two back about the risk of extradition to the  US of Julian Assange, the bloke who runs Wikileaks, and if memory serves I do believe some of their politicians have said he should be executed, with a trial being optional.  Hardly the rhetoric you'd expect from a nation which describes itself as "The Land of the Free" and is quick to lambast other countries which they think fall short of their own high standards.
I read in today's Daily Record of the execution of a convicted murderer in Mississippi, which is not unusual, but what made it newsworthy was the fact that the murderer was convicted in 1991 and had been in jail since.  This is not about the pros and cons of capital punishment, but to carry out the execution 20 years after conviction would surely be considered cruel and  unnatural treatment in any other civilised country.
I don't know if the US plan to extradite Mr. Assange to Mississippi, but he's right to be concerned about his possible fate it they ever get their hands on him 

32 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: US Laws

Well I personally think its bonkers when you consider he's not a resident in the USA.
I've said it more than once, I cannot understand how they could even claim he's broken any of their laws when he's not even been there.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
nadger
Rising Star

As one can operate the internet from anywhere I guess it is now possible to break the laws of a country without having been there.
If I arranged and paid for a contract killing in the USA, using the internet, where should I actually be prosecuted?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

David_W
Rising Star

I don't think he can be extradited to the US if there are calls for the death penalty.  One of the defining rules of our (Europe's) extradition laws is you cannot extradite any person to a country where they face the death penalty.  Of course, the US will give assurances "we don't execute him!" (but we will sentence him to 1,000 years in jail).  Though Sweden wanting to get hold of him to extradite him seems a bit silly, if the guy is guilty of sexual offences he should be tried in Sweden for them and sent to Swedish jail, not let off those crimes to capitulate to the US government.
nadger
Rising Star

You are correct regarding death penalty and UK won't extradite anyone facing that sentence.
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
I don't think he can be extradited to the US if there are calls for the death penalty. 

I think the call for the death sentence came only  from Sarah Palin  Sad 
David_W
Rising Star

Sarah Palin is hot!  If you like a woman who would scare a grizzly bear so much it'd turn into a polar bear.
I think we should send him to Sweden to face trial for sex offences, but Sweden shouldn't extradite him simply to send him to the US, it makes a mockery of the extradition system "we want to extradite him so we can extradite him again".  If the US wants him, they should apply to the British courts to send him out and the British courts should decide his fate, if we find he does have to answer to the US courts and the US courts agree that his sentence will not be death nor cruel or unusual (Guantanamo Bay, solitary confinement in a military base) should be he found guilty, we should ship him off ourselves.
Of course, we run the risk (if it drags on) of the current US administration saying "sure, no death penalty", we ship him out (after a long court case) and when he gets sent over, the administration changes to the Boston Tea Party (they don't want to pay taxes?) and they say "heck, lets just hang him".
Community Veteran

Although Palin was rumoured to be considering standing for President I think she might have had second thoughts on this now.  She is seen as a liability by the Republicans. She will, however, be influential in selecting their candidate. 
Community Veteran

Quote from: David
Sarah Palin is hot!  
I say, steady on old chap!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: nadger
As one can operate the internet from anywhere I guess it is now possible to break the laws of a country without having been there.

Yes but thats the point, you still wouldn't be there in person so how can you be held accountable under those laws?
Quote from: nadger
If I arranged and paid for a contract killing in the USA, using the internet, where should I actually be prosecuted?

The last I heard murder was illegal pretty much everywhere.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
johpal
Grafter

The last I heard murder was illegal pretty much everywhere.

Isn't theft and handling of stolen goods illegal pretty much everywhere?  Lips are sealed
David_W
Rising Star

@Oddball - I dunno, there is something inherently sexy about a woman using a machine gun to hunt rabbit, imagine her in a Bugs Bunny cartoon, the rabbit would stand no chance - which reminds me of that Family Guy episode, funny hehehe.
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: johpal
Isn't theft and handling of stolen goods illegal pretty much everywhere? 
And can result in hand amputation in some places.
Problem is that Assange is seen, by some, as a modern day Robin Hood and not as a criminal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If the Guy is Swedish then why not send him back to Sweden for them to deal with.
If they send him to the US then that is their decision so I cannot understand why we should be involved.
The UK needs to spend more time concentrating on it's own citizens who face extradition to the US rather than citizens of other countries.
We seem to extradite people who commit financial fraud or those who meddle with computer programs in weakly protected US Defence programs but at the same time refuse to extradite people who preach hate against our soldiers whilst claiming considerable benefits paid for by the rest of us or cases where some one has no tax or insurance, kills someone but due to human rights cannot be returned to their own country. If we have to have an extradition agreement with any country, lets have a fair one as the current one is far short of being fair.