Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

UPS Systems PLC Newsletter Jan 2012

Hi All
Just got the Jan 2012 Newsletter from UPS:
[quote="UPS Systems PLC"]
The total cost of ownership
Whether you’re buying new standby power systems, or upgrading existing ones, it’s important to consider the total cost of ownership.
Read More Here

Standby power: A reliable grid?
Without £32 billion of investment into the National Grid, the Government has predicted rolling blackouts by 2017. Are you doing enough to protect your organisation?
Read More Here

UPS battery replacement, supply and disposal
To protect your equipment, your batteries must remain at full capacity. And when they reach the end of their lives, it’s important to dispose of them correctly, following environmental regulations.
Read More Here

Met Office trials fuel cell for remote power
The Met Office is trialling one of our hydrogen fuel cells at its weather monitoring station in Cornwall, to test its suitability for providing independent power to remote locations.
Read More Here

REMO saves two more customers
REMO, our unique remote monitoring tool, has alerted two clients to faults with their equipment; helping to keep their organisations protected against power failure.
Read More Here

That reminds me that I need to get a new UPS System.
Do you have a UPS System?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: UPS Systems PLC Newsletter Jan 2012

If you are running a Data Centre the ActivePower flywheel based UPS/Generator in a shipping container is quite good especially if you have some spare space in the yard. I was at first dubious of the 15 second run time, but having seen it in operation and trawled through their records I was quite impressed. The nice thing is that it doesn't need UPS batteries (acid gel or whatever) which need replacing after a few years. Once you start replacing batteries you really need to replace the whole bunch. - Expensive! You also need air conditioning for the battery room unless you have reliable "free cooling".
However being a mere mortal I have an APC 1500 Smart UPS with an extender battery pack. As the electricity company is swapping my meter in a couple of weeks it will come in useful!
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I have three and am always looking for more at the right price on eBay !
For me UPSes are essential as we suffer power losses nearly every day, and had at least four short dropouts today  Angry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yes, only a small one with 4 mins maximum time but it has a built in surge protector too.
It's only kicked in once since I've had it and that was in one of those momentary power cuts where the power goes off and comes back within half a second.
I didn't even know I had it to start with.. I collected a load of bits from a local freecycle user, took the bits home I wanted and chucked the rest into a storage locker I had at the time (after they'd sat in the car for a week or three) which I was using temporarily until I sorted out the junk at home. Months later I went to clear out the locker and thought "Whats in there then?" when I saw the box. Opened it up and found a fully charged UPS - Result!
Only a small one and I've no idea about the battery condition but a small one is better than no UPS as it at least gives me time to save everything and shut down.
Sean Branagh has a UPS or 12 I think too.. I remember his threads about uprating them a few years back as he wanted a few hours out of them if i remember correctly.
@purleigh: Been there, used to live somewhere that had a powercut every night without fail - it would reset everything and drove me nuts!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

One of my UPS is now on the main TV and Freeview PVR hard drive recorder, as it was becoming a nuisance to keep reformatting the HDD because of corruption due to power loss while recording !.  It is a bit disconcerting sitting watching TV when the house is plunged into darkness, but the screen stays on.
Four minutes would be too short for me, although I can understand how useful that would be for short glitches.  Mine are all around 20 minutes.
CX
Grafter

I have an APC SUA1000 for my server, CCTV and satellite recording systems. I got fed up of running disk checks on the server; power cuts are a rare event, but still enough of a pain when it happened that the UPS seemed worth it. The rest of it is just on it due to spare capacity. I became appreciative of it recently, as the fridge/freezer began tripping the RCD intermittently. Shame that the modem/router is too far away from the UPS.
At work, we have a multi-kW UPS to keep things running until the generator kicks in.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: purleigh
Four minutes would be too short for me, although I can understand how useful that would be for short glitches.  Mine are all around 20 minutes.

It's not ideal but for me its better than nothing as its 4 minutes to save everything and shutdown or hibernate. The UPS comes with software and a USB connection so that the computer can be setup to shutdown/hibernate automatically but on my last computer it kept loosing the connection (think the usb port was dodgy). This one is Win7 and I don't think it supports that so I just leave it connected to the electricals only.
Your 20 minutes isn't bad but as I mentioned above I think Sean has a IUPS that can do an hour or two iirc which I thought was very good.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!