Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UP to Speeds

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

UP to Speeds

there has been several stories now about the advertising of UP TO speeds , where some customers get far away from the speeds they pay for due to line length from Cab . ETC

The ASA are trying to bring new rules Thumbs Up  several ISP did comment on the new rules BUT ,,,, BT and Plusnet

responded.. but only to confirm that they were declining to comment. Knuppel

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/uk-isps-react-average-broadband-speeds-advertising-req...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
9 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: UP to Speeds

Right now, the maximum speeds ISPs show in ads only need to be available to at least 10 percent of their customers. Different factors mean a lot of people get nowhere near those numbers, but this isn’t always made clear. Under the new rules, however, the advertised speeds must be available to 50 percent of a company’s customers during peak hours of between 8 pm and 10 pm.

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

How do they determine this, though? There are many factors which determine the speed an individual line can achieve, and I can't see anyone going round with a meter to every house in the country.

John
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Even if you set the percentage of people receiving the stated speed at 99%, Which would be grandstanding. Human nature, (especially the affluent wanting effortless cheap perfection band), will carry on however super-duper miraculous fast their connections.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
SWANECO
Grafter

Hi

Has anybody ever achieved the MPG figures for their car?

Same sort of idea

Luzern
Pro

The reason for the car discrepancies is that the tests are not 'on the road'. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
SWANECO
Grafter

Hi

Most people tend to drive cars on the road so the MPG figures are not attainable by motorists, the manufacturer knows you cannot achieve these figures.

Broadband speeds are an estimate based on what the ISP provides.   I am on 40/10 and speedtest shows 38/7 achieved.

That to me is acceptable, there are so many things that can go wrong with BB, but MPG really irritate me as they are deliberately misleading.. 

I cannot get anywhere near the quoted MPG figures.

Luzern
Pro

But those figures are what the manufacturers have to use, being set by EU regulations. Excepting the VW Group fiddle, it seems unfair to say the makers are being deliberately misleading.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not as difficult as it would seem to calculate the average speed - the infrastructure is there already and used on a daily basis. ISP's know how much data you use, and when you used it. It's a simple calculation then to work out speed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

With the ASA believing twisted copper pair is fibre, there's not much hope of getting truthful marketing in the Broadband business.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.