cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UKIP

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

UKIP

UKIP seem to have done well in the local elections, is this just a flash in the pan or have they tuned in to what many people want ?
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: UKIP

I suspect a flash in the pan protest vote - in a district in Dorset (Ferndown) the prime UKIP candidate came 4th and the winner really only entered to make up the numbers. This was why he wasn't even at the count http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/10398774.UPDATED_WITH_VIDEO__I_didn_t_know_I_d_won_until_this_...
Mind you it was very close with the top 4 candidates within 200 of each other
One thing which was encouraging
There were two BNP candidates standing in Dorset and the total number of votes cast for them was - A BIG FAT ZERO  Grin
Community Veteran

Bit of a mystery really, their main (only) policy is not anything that is the remit of local government in any shape or form.  Crazy
On that basis, and assuming people are thinking about policies before voting, it can only be a protest vote "none of the above".  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Personally I think UKIP support can only grow. Maybe it was once but not a protest vote at all now.
They have a lot going for them like more of their candidates live in the real world and have real jobs.
Maybe the main parties have more policies but when they get in power these policies / promises often come to nothing / disappear.
Devonian
Grafter

Well, given the chance I will vote UKIP.
I'm certainly not alone, people I associate with at work, friends, and family all say they prefer UKIP over the 'Big 3'.
Why do I prefer UKIP? 
Farrage.. says it as he see's it, and I found him much easier to relate to than the other rich boys. 
Cameron.. hmm.. gutless.
Clegg.... Full of cow poo.
That Labour guy that nobody knows exists... is awful.. if he ever became PM, he would be a national embarrassment!!
UKIP also want out of the EU, and would be much tougher on immigration, a vote winner for me.
Community Veteran

The results in my area were interesting to say the least.
True Blue Home Counties, the other candidates normally barely bother to turn up.
This time the turnout was much the same as for other local elections at almost 30%.
And the Tory still won.
BUT the UKIP vote was well over 80% of the Tory one! A few more and he would have won  Shocked
(the other 2 candidates each got rather less than 10% of the votes cast)
Comparing to previous elections the UKIP vote was almost purely Tory defectors.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In Lancashire they all lost, one way or another. The Tories lost overall control but Labour failed to win enough to gain overall control and there was little support for UKIP.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Derbyshire:- large swing to labour
Labour  43 (+)18
Conservative  18 (-)13
Liberal Democrat  3 (-)4
Independent  0 (-)1

I didn't vote, intended to, but was called away Embarrassed
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
UKIP also want out of the EU, and would be much tougher on immigration, a vote winner for me.

Would Devon and Cornwell get the some amount in grants from the government as their do from the EU?
shalom2010
Grafter

One thing, in my mind anyway, is that if they do at all well in the general elections in 2015, then the current coalition will go on for another 4 years.
Community Veteran

UKIP seem to have taken the ground once occupied by the LibDems.  They received a lot of protest votes but the big test will be a general election.
nadger
Rising Star

UKIP did well in East Anglia where there's a high proportion of immigrant workers from EU.
Overall Labour must be happy as UKIP will damage Tory vote.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Just over 50% of the UK's total exports are to the EU. If we're not in the "club" there's no way we can influence what it does, and that could be very bad in all sorts of ways.
x47c
Grafter

You have obviously not had the experience of being in a club/on a committee/board etc where everyone disagrees with you and have no wish to discuss any changes to the current arrangement.
The rest will out vote you every time.
So you can either just keep on being on the receiving end of the crap - or you can quit and let them do it themselves.
At which point in my experience the rest suddenly have an "attitude re-adjustment" as they move into panic mode that you are really no longer going to pick up all the sh*t.
In my opinion in respect of the EU you make the mistake of thinking because we are "in it" we can influence it.
The only way we will be able to influence it is if we vote in a referendum to leave - whereupon the EU will suddenly become far more accommodating to our views.
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Quote from: Devonian

Would Devon and Cornwell get the some amount in grants from the government as their do from the EU?

Quite possibly yes, as the Government coffers will have billions more in them from the wasted cash we send to Brussels.