Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

UK to create new cyber defence force

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="BBC"]
UK to create new cyber defence force
The UK is to create a new cyber unit to help defend national security, the defence secretary has announced.
The Ministry of Defence is set to recruit hundreds of reservists as computer experts to work alongside regular forces in the creation of the new Joint Cyber Reserve Unit.
The new unit will also, if necessary, launch strikes in cyber space, Philip Hammond said.
Recruiting for reservists to join the unit will start next month.
The role of the unit is to protect computer networks and safeguard vital data.
In a statement, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the "creation of the "Joint Cyber Unit (Reserve) will allow it to draw on individuals' talent, skills and expertise gained from their civilian experience to meet these threats".
Read More Here

The biggest fret that we have is GCHQ spying on us.  Angry
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: UK to create new cyber defence force

It's difficult to take seriously when they use the term "cyber space".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just think of the damage a single crooked reservist could do in the system, there have been a few fictional films and books where the plot included the victims details being wiped and replaced with a load of damaging data. OK it was fiction but fiction can become fact. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Just think of the damage a single crooked reservist could do in the system, there have been a few fictional films and books where the plot included the victims details being wiped and replaced with a load of damaging data. OK it was fiction but fiction can become fact. Smiley

Such as 'The Net' starring Sandra bullock which is on Channel 4+1 as i type..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

They could build their "facility" on the derelict "News of the World" site.

Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool
Cyber security experts are always thinking of the most complex system exploits and build defenses sufficiently high enough to counter their threat scenarios. But they forget the most effective cyber weapon of all is a naked man armed with a pair of wire cutters.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Midnight
The UK is to create a new cyber unit

Will they call themselves the Cybermen? Cheesy
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I wonder if they could manage one of those "highly advanced" bank robberies?
The ones with an ancient KVM switch.  Cheesy

Thunderclap
Grafter

KVM : oh the simplcitiy... but instead of raising immediate suspicion as a faux IT Engineer, the gang should have had taken jobs with the bank's contract cleaners or security gaurds. Contractors of a lesser IQ represent a major hole in corporate IT security. Maybe they were all illegals though?
Back to topic, I am not really sure what these Cyber Reservists are meant to be achieving? Do they have a Job Description? So far, all I know is they will sit around doing nothing just in case, they are needed to launch a Stuxnet attack on the washing machine of some poor Dictator's wife? We'll mess up her spin cycle....
dick:quote