cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK takes Delivery of final F-35B Lightning of this year

Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

UK takes Delivery of final F-35B Lightning of this year

For those who doubt ..... regarding our new carrier strike force ...

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2017/december/18/171218-uk-takes-delivery...

8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: UK takes Delivery of final F-35B Lightning of this year

If you care to Google Earth US Marines Beaufort. There are a number of F35's lined up in dispersal. Whether any of them are ours is not possible to see. Those on the left have a shadow of the distinctive V tail of the F35.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

The problem is Only 14 aircraft ?  on a ship capable of taking 40  they will be lost in the spare space Cheesy

Yes i know there will be a few helicopters , but still its going to be underused 

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

The problem with "landlubbers" and those not of a "naval" background, trying to understand, how ships are built, from the "concept" stage to the design stage, to the "manufacture" stage, and then the delivery for sea trials stage, before being "in commission" . can take 10 to 15 years... ( or more sometimes )... by which time the original concept/design parameters for the "future needs" can change dramatically, ( as can politics and who controls the "purse strings"..

Trying to complete such an order, is no mean feat... especially if the "defence budget" is continuously eroded, messed about with, i.e. bits cut to give more to another service , etc,

To purchase the two aircraft carriers, ( as is ) i.e. "just ships with no aircraft" seems to those "landlubbers" to be a bit silly, and often ridiculed...

The 14 planes so far delivered, have cost a small fortune EACH, and , again, their design parameters have changed somewhat since the original.  Pilots do not automatically get into a cockpit, and fly these planes on to a carrier.... that in itself is something that needs exceptional flying skills, which they have been training in the USA on a "mock up" of the carrier flight deck... together with the Flight Deck Crew, who manouvre the aircraft, before and after take off,... so that they know exactly what they are each doing, and can rely on the "oppo" to be in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing, to ensure the safe operation of the aircraft.

Add in to this the Fire Safety training, and all other aspect of disaster recovery... it becomes clear that this is not a "five minute job" as soon as the ship is completed.

Once all the "ground training" has been completed, and the aircraft are declared ready for sea service,  more training flights ( at present some are on to US aircraft carriers ) . to give the pilots more experience. and when the ship is declared ready to receive the planes, then... and only then, when all this pre training has come together, do the planes fly on to the carrier for the first time.... and WOW... what a moment that is... for everyone on board... not just the pilots and wafoos on the deck.

So.... to summarise....  The ship has been built, and handed over, after some sea trials.... during sea trials, any snags/faults will be found, and they do get found, as we know from the current propshaft seal leakage ( incidentally , most ships have a leak in that area at some time during their lifetime ) ...

You could not expect the planes to be "operational" on a "non-operational" ship... it does take time to "shake down" the crew , to get them used to their new ship, new equipment, and become proficient in their chosen trade.

Even the chef`s have to learn how to cook with their new galley.  ( which, again, is being used under trial, so equipment there can still go wrong, and need replacing, putting the meal arrangements for 700 or more,  in jeopardy, until such time as is fixed.). 

The ship, and its crew, need to be 100% ready and capable of operating the new aircraft, and the pilots and flight deck crew need to be trained up as well... it is not easy to do both at the same time on the same ship... hence the "perceived" delay, into bringing the planes on to the ship.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

yes @shutter and as we havent had a carrier for several years we have lost the skill to man the ship safely untill they get trained by the USA Sad 

The initial UK order for 14 F-35Bs will, with support costs added, cost about £2.5bn, and they are shared by the Navy and us Flyboys Smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@shutter i have just seen this Roll eyes Britain has no major warships deployed on operations beyond home waters in what has been described as an "unprecedented" absence of the vessels on the world stage.

http://www.forces.net/news/alarm-no-royal-navy-warships-deployed-overseas

Shows what effect the cuts are having Sad

Community Veteran

Yeah,... it is very sad to see our Navy reduced to home water patrol ships...  I left the Navy in 72,... and one of the reasons I did not sign on for a pensionable service time, was because I could see how the cuts were going to affect the availability of "forren draft chits"  to either Foreign shore bases, or ships in foreign waters.

When I joined, there were some lovely "cushy numbers" to be had.... some forren comcens such as Brussels, Holland, Norway, Paris, Germany, Several in various parts of th USA., and in the West Indies. Capetown, Aden, Mombasa, Ceylon, Singapore, Hong Kong, a couple in Australia, one in New Zealand. and "lucky me".. I did manage a couple of years in Mauritius, middle of the Indian Ocean.

Of course, there were ship drafts too... which visited some of those places.

If I had "signed on for the pension"... I suspect that I would have spent most of my time in the UK, maybe as an instructor, until they decided to cut the numbers and I would have been "discharged"  SNLR.  ! 

Community Veteran

@rongtw to a point, I agree,... however, this new carrier, and the new aircraft, are a quantam leap from the old jets and carrier operations... so they would still need to train in a different way, on different stuff.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The most dangerous opponent of the UK Armed Forces is the Ministry of Defence aided by HM Treasury. Under their attack we've lost most of our Naval vessels and aircraft.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.