cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK lags badly on upload speed

Community Veteran

UK lags badly on upload speed

International research into broadband speeds http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20019856-93.html?part=rssamp;subj=newsamp;tag=2547-1_3-0-20 show the average upload speed to be 1.77Mbps, whilst most in the UK have to do with 433Kbps which is still slow even when compared to the international average of 2008.
6 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: UK lags badly on upload speed

How much credence do you place on that report? For all ADSL variations on annex A the maximum upload speed is 1.3 Mbits/s.  To increase the upload using ADSL the options are ADSL2+  annex M giving a maximum speed of 3.3Mbits/s, ADSL2 annex J at 3.5Mbits/s and ADSL annex B at 1.8Mbits/s. All these are available but at a cost to the user if they require speeds greater than 444 kbits/s so my conclusion is the average user do not want greater upload speed.
Fixes: 105

that report will also include cable, which a lot of the other countries have better coverage of...
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

Which is a problem if the calculations are based on average (mean) and not median as this will greatly increase the average figure.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: itsme
How much credence do you place on that report? For all ADSL variations on annex A the maximum upload speed is 1.3 Mbits/s.  To increase the upload using ADSL the options are ADSL2+  annex M giving a maximum speed of 3.3Mbits/s, ADSL2 annex J at 3.5Mbits/s and ADSL annex B at 1.8Mbits/s. All these are available but at a cost to the user if they require speeds greater than 444 kbits/s so my conclusion is the average user do not want greater upload speed.

Once upon a time there also used to be VDSL too Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Broadband speed is not the only thing the UK is behind on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quite right, we're dropping behind in almost everything now.
What the Gov's here haven't realised is that once you start getting into the red, cutting things makes it worse. Instead you have to find ways of making things more profitable and keeping them running. Things which people will want to support - unlike hospital parking charges which are simply forced on us.
Our local county council is pretty useless but at least they've had the idea of creating their own bus company which then runs as a private company and competes against the likes of stagecoach for business.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!