cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK broadband more expensive than Europe

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

UK broadband more expensive than Europe

The Gruaniad has published an article showing their analysis that UK punters pay up to 50% more than in Europe for Broadband. I guess the reason must be we have better customer service from our companies?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: UK broadband more expensive than Europe

Not really surprising, we pay twice as much for pretty much everything in this country, good example the Playstation 4, in the US, $349.99, in the UK, £349.99, all they did was change the $ to a £, except the UK version is $559.99 after conversion ($1.60ish to the Pound), with no real good reason, same product (bar the PAL/NTSC differences), but we pay a heck of a lot more... Roll eyes
It's all part of the joy of living in this over-taxed country...
Steve
Pro

It's called Rip Off Britain ( the rich wouldn't of watched it ) however they take  part in it.
Community Veteran

I know a lot of people in Spain and they certainly wouldn't agree that they get a better deal. They are envious of our pricing structures in the UK.
Community Veteran

What is the real price of UK broadband?
You know, the actual true price. The not special offer version. Or the line rental subsidised version.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I play online games with people from EU ,mainly Holland & Sweden and i can say for the same price over here they get double or more the speed , and their service is excellent 
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: artmo
I know a lot of people in Spain and they certainly wouldn't agree that they get a better deal.

Actually I'm with artmo on this - but possibly for different reasons.
When you consider that many european countries have lower wages which of course keeps their rents / mortgages lower than ours then yes of course they'll have cheaper goods than we do. That unfortunately is how things work.
Yes our stuff is more expensive.. but our wages are (apparently) higher than most EU countries to match it. It's all proportionally linked.
People moan about the USA having cheaper stuff than the UK.. yeah.. they have a huge population with a big guaranteed customer base meaning they can make stuff en mass for that country and sell it at a cheaper price than they could for the UK.
Don't get me wrong, i disagree with a lot of things about our country.. i make no secret of that but when it comes to consumer goods, i'm not really seeing much of a stitch up. Property prices, taxes, fuel prices yeah.. we've been had but electronics etc.. i don't really see it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Pro

Quote from: artmo
I know a lot of people in Spain and they certainly wouldn't agree that they get a better deal. They are envious of our pricing structures in the UK.
Since when in Spain was £30.40 in our money for its basic fixed landline and broadband ( upto 30 MB no less )  and that includes unlimited calls to other landlines a reason to be envious of us here in UK?
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: 7up
Don't get me wrong, i disagree with a lot of things about our country.. i make no secret of that but when it comes to consumer goods, i'm not really seeing much of a stitch up. Property prices, taxes, fuel prices yeah.. we've been had but electronics etc.. i don't really see it.

why you think its fair that we get charged around double the price everyone else does for the exact same item ?
take the ps4 as an example, every part contained in it is exactly the same in every part of the world its sold in, the software is the exact same (you just change the language and time data with a regional selection which also changes the video standards for pal/ntsc as well) so why is it ok to charge the UK almost double the amount you charge in the US ? in both cases you shipped the item from the shipping port in china a couple of thousand miles on a freighter to the sales destination, in both locations you pay the same import duties, in both places you pay the same shipping fees to get it to the actual shop so what makes it fine to double the price for the UK over the US ?
there are a lot of electronic items that are similarly universal in terms of ability to operate everywhere jus plug it in and off you go yet they also are always more expensive in the UK, infact the disparity of prices was so big a couple of years ago that phone companies region locked phones so you had to buy them from a local dealer rather than buy them from overseas and pay for shipping +import taxes and still save a fortune and too many people doing this had dented profit margins, one company exec admitted live on camera that the only reason why they changed $/€/£ when deciding prices was it was simpler for them, and it meant they just made double the profits from the UK......didn't used to be the case though all started with the introduction of the Euro as a trading currency .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Long-term BT customers in the UK on the basic home phone/unlimited broadband will soon pay £20.47 a month, plus a monthly landline charge of £17.99. For a shade over £38/month they get a broadband service of “up to 17 Mbps” with unlimited downloads.

Can anyone find any reference to the £20.47?
nanotm
Pro

It's the standard price for adsl before discount for older contracts, when I was with BT I would get a mac code every time the contract was up so retentions could give me a new discounted price for another year, but when I let it lapse one year I ended up paying over 30 a month just on the broadband......
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
It's the standard price for adsl before discount for older contracts

You know that for a fact or are just guessing?
I looked here http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf and there was no mention of it.
nanotm
Pro

Why look at a price guide that's dated today when you should be looking at the one from a previous year.....
Community Veteran

Tied into this will "superfast" at circa 30 mbps be enough in a few years time?  Here's one view: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp/the-history-and-future-of-internet-traffic
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
Why look at a price guide that's dated today when you should be looking at the one from a previous year.....

Because it has every 'legacy' product on there?