Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK air space is quiet !

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

UK air space is quiet !

Normally, UK airspace at this time of the morning, shows quite a lot of planes lining up for their landing turn for both Gatwick and Heathrow...

This pic shows just ONE CHINESE airliner inbound from the East.... to LHR...  (Yesterday there was three in a row from CHINA at this time) . nothing inbound to LGW (Gatwick)

The group of planes over South Wales,/Southern Ireland,  includes only 5 LHR bound planes.. and one for RAF(USAF) Mildnehall in suffolk.... the rest are inbound to Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

uk air space 20 jan 2021.png

uk air space 2.png

6 REPLIES 6
archerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Re: UK air space is quiet !

It is quiet. Too quiet..

What was it like after that Icelandic volcano erupted? (Please do not ask me to spell or pronounce the name.)

Regards,

Alistair

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Hard to tell at the moment as it's wet and overcast here in Wales, but out interest and from looking at that lower image @shutter - where are those planes over to the south west of us coming from?

We see a fair number contrails here and I've often wondered. 

The Mrs said Aberystwyth. 😆 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 185

where are those planes over to the south west of us coming from?

I wondered that ? I would guess that track is either from Cork or (the larger aircraft) a transatlantic track into Heathrow. I wouldn't have thought there would be that many flights though...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

You may be right there @MisterW but most of seem to be flying rather to high to have come just from Cork.

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 185

Looking at tomorrows flight arrivals around 08:00 ish into Heathrow, there's a surprising number of transatlantic flights scheduled (even when you take codesharing into account).

and as @shutter says some of the ones shown are heading to Schipol or Frankfurt so they must also be transatlantic

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Yes, indeedy... all those aircraft, were on the transatlantic path from the US or Canada.   Most of them would overfly Heathrow, at about 30,000 ft leaving the lower airspace clear for the inbound and stacking flightpaths of those due to land at Heathrow