Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Popularity

David_W
Rising Star

UK Popularity

From an article on the BBC today, it's a pretty interesting read:
Statistics - PDF warning - 3Mb
The BBC have run a poll in several countries world wide to try and find out how countries are viewed on the international scale, Germany is top of the list but, oddly, the UK is also up there near the top.  Our results are on page 10.  It does make you think.  More people in the UK think we're a negative influence than people in Russia (as in people in Russia think we're a good influence more than people in the UK think it).
With all that trouble brewing in South America over the Falklands, you'd think we'd be negative, but that's not the case.
Chile is 58% positive, even after that Pinochet bloke as well as supporting Argentina, in fact South America is mainly very positive towards us.
The biggest surprise for me at least is Japan.  We all think the Japanese are inward facing and reclusive, and yes the chart does seem to suggest it somewhat, but the figures are 38% positive and only 3% negative (for 59% I don't knows).
The US is positive towards us, very in fact, maybe the people believe in the "special relationship" more than the politicians do, Obama take note, when you're given an historic artefact, giving DVD's that your guest can't even play in return is a big slap in the face!
Mexico, Turkey and Pakistan hates us, Pakistan I can understand, Turkey, not really sure why that would be, possibly because of our involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan, Mexico though?
Our views are also interesting, I think I said interesting too much! Anyhow, it's a decent read.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: UK Popularity

Think you'll find that historically, Turks have no particular reason to like us very much.
My local chippy is run by Turks, very pleasant bunch they are too...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
David_W
Rising Star

I thought our relations with them were getting better though, didn't we support their request to join the EU?  I know as a Muslim state, Turkey will be unhappy with our perceived war against Muslims, and they probably have affinity with Pakistan where the US are being unfriendly and they would tie us to the US?  I think as a country we need to make a major effort to support Muslim countries to show we are tolerant of every faith and the war in Afghanistan is against terror and not against religion.
WildRose52
Grafter

Against terror?
Hmm.....  yep we bring em freedom by bombing the living daylights out of them
and destroying their families, their culture, their architecture & economy.
I cant help but ask:  if this is freedom & democracy then why didnt a country like
Russia bomb Iraq, or invade Afghanistan?
I think it might be called `respect for other countries & their culture`
I`m surprised we are near the top of that list.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Surprise..... !.... Russia did invade Afghanistan..... check your history.... OOOops   Lips are sealed
and seeing as you like to post linkys..... here is one for you.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/february/15/newsid_4160000/4160827.stm
WildRose52
Grafter

Okay, I admit my error there Shutter.
Trouble is, with all these invasions.....  might one not be forgiven for losing
track lol?
Community Veteran

I`ll forgive you the error, if you apologise for spoiling my weekend...  lol , Grin
David_W
Rising Star

With the war on terror (or, more accurately, the war to get oil...) I believe only one question should be asked.  If the people in Iraq were to now protest peacefully against their government would they face the same sanctions they would have under Saddam?  Democracy isn't just about giving people the chance to vote, it's about giving people the chance to express their views even in opposition to the government.  The world (or bits of it anyhow) have given the people of Iraq the chance to forge their own destiny, to become a productive member of the world, never mind all the political stuff or the posturing, of Cheshire cat Blair, to the people of Iraq these people are irrelevant.
History will judge Bush and Blair, it will also judge the UK and the US on it, but, we shouldn't forget that because of the actions of some, people in Iraq are now "freeish", they can protest, they can vote, they can live a life.  We can slam our politicians all we like for their actions, but because of their actions, the people of Iraq can now have the ability to slam their politicians without fear of them and their families spending time in jail before execution.
WildRose52
Grafter

I can see perfectly what you are saying Dgwebb - and would agree they
do now have a form of democracy which Saddam denied to them.
What I guess we find difficult to understand is the difference there is between
the East and the West.
We`ve become accustomed to freedom, and the ability to protest peacefully.
In Eastern culture its different to ours.
So I`m still inclined to say:  does that give us the right to change the way they
do things?
Through our eyes many of their ways appear very barbaric.
We could, for example: heavily critise many of their punishment techniques.
Yet we must always remember that although we didnt stone ppl, we did hang
them - and I dont think we would have appreciated it had another country
invaded us - telling us : `its to set you free from that`
At the moment, and interestingly we are seeing more & more of our own
freedoms being taken away from us.  Maybe if it gets bad then.....  we`ll have
to hope another country invades us in order to give us back freedom &
democracy?    Would we welcome that if it meant out families were killed
and our country destroyed?
Probably not.
I cannot walk in another man`s shoes, but I do try my best to see how people
from other cultures operate - and what their thoughts are.
I may not agree with their ways, but I try to understand the differences between
cultures.
Community Veteran

Lips are sealed
David_W
Rising Star

No, we have no right to invade another sovereign nation simply because we don't like their leader.  We have the right to defend ourselves though.  No country has the right to be the "world police".  Did we do the right thing in invading Iraq?  I don't know, historians will chew over that in the future and come to their own decisions.
We can say that some people in Iraq are leading a better quality of life, but it could also be argued that because of the terrorist attacks, some are leading a worse quality of life, or indeed no life at all.
Last century we had "the war to end all wars" but war will never end, only the players and the reasons change.  Governments will go to war simply because they are in a bad economic situation and war makes good money.  In our life time we may not see the "rewards" for the invasion of Iraq, we may not see which way the country goes, we may never know the full situation that Iraq takes.  So as I said, it's up to history to judge our actions.
Community Veteran

How did we get from a fairly light hearted article about who likes who, back to the war against ... take your pick  Huh
Proverbs 26 V 4
WildRose52
Grafter

I guess it was a case of deciding whether Britain deserved its placing on that list lol.
BTW, the Jury still appears to be out.
It was certainly a very interesting listing.
Community Veteran

Quote from: hulls
How did we get from a fairly light hearted article about who likes who, back to the war against ... take your pick  Huh
Proverbs 26 V 4

dunno.... Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Peace with you Shutter  Smiley