cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

Community Veteran
Posts: 6,735
Thanks: 12
Registered: 02-02-2008

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

Now come on, the Mail? Who in their right mind believes anything written there.  Crazy
I tend to believe what I read in Viz much more than any incarnation of the Mail - "Pulp Fiction"  Grin
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,806
Thanks: 265
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

And how about this one?  Passports will be required to buy a mobile phone.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4969312.ece
Bring on the General Election and let's put a stop to this nonsense.
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,806
Thanks: 265
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

Quote from: HPsauce
Now come on, the Mail? Who in their right mind believes anything written there.  Crazy
I tend to believe what I read in Viz much more than any incarnation of the Mail - "Pulp Fiction"  Grin

It's being discussed in parliament now as part of the Counter-Terrorism Bill.  Lord West, the Security Minister is quoted as saying,
‘During surveillance, a DNA sample may be obtained without a warrant. A good example might be where a person discards a cigarette or a drinks container. It can be collected covertly and a sample taken.
‘Or, should a covert human intelligence source be used, the person under surveillance could visit the source’s house and a sample could be taken from a teacup.
‘There is a real need to share this data internationally, especially where terrorism is concerned.’
pierre_pierre
Grafter
Posts: 19,757
Registered: 30-07-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

oh yeh, I havnt got a valid current passport, I havnt got a Photo ID driving licence- and say I live in apartments, what form of identity do I present to buy a phone, and what about all the School kids with them what do they present, the end of term report. Crazy
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,806
Thanks: 265
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

If this bunch of idiots get their way we'll all have to carry an ID card in future. Guess that will get you a mobile phone Smiley
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 10,999
Thanks: 265
Fixes: 11
Registered: 01-09-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

Quote from: artmo
It's being discussed in parliament now as part of the Counter-Terrorism Bill.  Lord West, the Security Minister is quoted as saying,

Not another Counter-Terrorism bill surely?
They've countered so much terror already that they've persuaded a lot of people to go and defend Islam in Iraq.
Shouldn't they call it the Recruiting-for-Terrorists bill?

techguy
Grafter
Posts: 2,540
Registered: 12-09-2008

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

I don't think the mandatory registration of mobiles is such a bad thing as they are increasingly being used as remote detonators, I think kids need to be at least 16 before they can have a mobile anyway.
I think we are going to have to compromise a little because there are people in the world that are so blinded by their beliefs that they will gladly blow themselves up bexause some guy hiding out in a cave who issues a video every so often tells them to.
Someone ought to say to him "ok then, after you"
Whatever you call the creative force (and I do believe that there is one) it did not cause humans to develop intelligence so that they could behave like sheep.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 10,999
Thanks: 265
Fixes: 11
Registered: 01-09-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

I believe that a few mobiles sometimes get stolen...

Not applicable

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

Quote from: artmo
This government's march to collect our data seems endless. They're now considering passing laws to allow our homes to be broken into to take DNA samples secretly from cigerette butts and teacups.  Where will this all end?
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-1078821/New-law-allow-police-collect-DNA-secret-teacups.h...

Thank Christ I gave up the smokes, and I only drink coffee from mugs rather than tea from cups - they'll never find me.. mwa ha ha
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,806
Thanks: 265
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

yes, but it is still a serious issue.  Where will all this snooping stop?
techguy
Grafter
Posts: 2,540
Registered: 12-09-2008

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

Quote from: axisofevil
I believe that a few mobiles sometimes get stolen...

Thats why you ring your operator and get it blocked which is what you'd do to keep your number anyway
Thunderclap
Grafter
Posts: 673
Registered: 08-09-2008

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

INFORMATION OVERLOAD
That's what the Stassi or East German Secret Police got when they employed 10% of the population to spy on the other 90% who were also spying on the other 10%. The result was a DATA MOUNTAIN so high, no-one ever actually read anything. East Germans can now go to the State archives to find out what their nieghbours wrote about them.
Now imagine how many TERRA BYTES per day, euroshite like the Data Retention Directive is dumping onto hard drives around the UK? Not so much a data mountain, but a new DATA PLANET per day. Telephone calls, texts, logons... billions of bytes a minute.
Elephant
Okay, so the little snoops who imagine themselves to be 'real spooks', who use software to scan these data mountains, still have no counter measures for terrorsists and criminals using old fashioned techniques like using code words or even, embedding their forum posts with secret content. 
There is an elephant in the room. Did you see it or smell it first?
techguy
Grafter
Posts: 2,540
Registered: 12-09-2008

Re: UK Government - all your data is safe with us - ID Cards - no problem

I dont agree with the super databsse with everything tapped of course not but registering mobiles is ok by me (I use a PAYG which is registered to me)