cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Border Agency

nadger
Rising Star

UK Border Agency

Most will have seen the recent media coverage of row between Theresa May & Brodie Clarke regarding people being allowed into UK without adequate checks.
The UKBA made up for it yesterday by detaining Mr & Mrs Nadger for 30 minutes, at Calais Eurotunnel Terminal, whilst they ran full passport checks on us. Admittedly I've only had my passport since 1956 and Mrs N since 1960 so it's about time we were looked at  Wink
Unbeknown to us they had changed the amount of tobacco products we could bring into UK, from EU, before we had to prove it was for personal use. Whilst there is no limit, in theory, they have reduced the cigarette figure by 75% and tobacco by 66%.
First question was did we come over on the boat - very worrying  Roll eyes
I was then asked if I worked - at 76  Smiley
As I didn't work where did my income come from - possibly pensions.
Did I have savings as £800 in cash was a lot of money to have.
During the 30 minutes no other vehicle was stopped and 4 UKBA staff stood round chatting and laughing.
When I asked why it was taking so long I was told that their computer was slow and not always updated.
Finally we were released, having told truth from outset, and caught a later shuttle  Cool

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: UK Border Agency

I hope you managed to have a good day despite the job-worths.  I am going over to France in a few weeks and will see how we get treated.
nadger
Rising Star

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They probably thought you were one of those computer hacker chaps and had to delay you while the bugs were planted in your phone and PC.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

@nadger, looks like they are picking on the smokers Undecided
itsme
Grafter

No just the older people that supplement their pensions doing the fag and booze run. 
Community Veteran

If you looked closely it only affected the smokers.  Drinkers were not affected.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry but I did not say it did. I was only pointing out it's a known that Pensioners living in the Kent area do the booze and fag run to make money
nadger
Rising Star

Perhaps it was because my number plate shows a Dover Kia dealer.
For us it cost about £80 to do a day trip so this may be the end of our twice a year runs  Cry
Wonder if I can talk SWMBO into giving up the weed  Roll eyes
nadger
Rising Star

I found this site rather interesting
http://nothing-2-declare.blogspot.com/p/introduction.html
Community Veteran

Another interesting site and it paints the UKBA in a poor light I think.
nadger
Rising Star

Forewarned is forearmed  Smiley
Obviously when we next travel, in 6 months time, I'll still openly bring in our usual amount but have proof that money comes from one of our bank accounts, have all our recent travel dates handy and a simple sum showing that the cigs we have equates to 17 per day over 6 months. That's 9 cigs each  Cool
I was quite happy with the previous amounts UKBA accepted for personal use and we never exceeded these amounts.
As the alcohol limits haven't changed ( eg 125 bottles of wine) one might assume that the powers that be are non-smoking boozers as it seems acceptable to drink half a litre of wine every day.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: nadger
As the alcohol limits haven't changed ( eg 125 bottles of wine) one might assume that the powers that be are non-smoking boozers as it seems acceptable to drink half a litre of wine every day.
And quite right too  Lips are sealed