Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyson Fury

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Tyson Fury

Not my cup of tea when it comes to all that Gypsy King nonsense, but 'well done that man' for becoming world boxing champion yet again after all those personal issues of his. 

Watched the opening ceremony earlier and I guess that's how it is these days, but what a pantomime all that dressing up on entry is. Flag waving is one thing, but that? Not a 'pay per view' sports subscriber m'self and don't know if it was even available to watch live in the UK, but no doubt I'll be able to pick it up somewhere down the line. 

Makes you proud to be British... and proud to be English after watching England beat Ireland at rugby earlier.

It's been a good weekend for this little offshore island of ours. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
19 REPLIES 19
twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Tyson Fury

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@Minivanman 

Certainly a interesting fight with Fury on the attack most of the time and well ahead on points.

Wilder took a blow to the left side of his head which caused some bleeding and from that point his leg work was poor which suggests to me there may have been some internal damage to his ear and possible balance.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

I really don't see the point in people punching the living daylights out of each other for fun or money.

From what I have read a ban is being considered, if not in place, for some players from heading a football due to the potential for later life brain damage, so why hasn't boxing been banned I ask!

Strat
Fixes: 506

As far as I'm concerned there is far too much fighting in the world already without glorifying some more.

Just my personal opinion.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Strat 

@Mook 

But where do you draw the line ?
No one is forced into boxing.....true some are injured or sadly killed but.....

How many die climbing Everest each year or climbing anywhere for that matter..

Motor sports...people are injured or even killed.....

I would claim its about choice...once you ban one thing it's not long before something else is added to the list.

Football is a case in point, plenty of evidence heading the ball can result in brain injury.....but...the type of football used years ago was a solid thing which you may remember from your school days, depending on age but the type of ball now in use is a lot different.

I am not a advocate of boxing but equally we should not restrict people's freedom of choice in what sport they participate in despite the risks involved to do so is a slippery path to take and will simply end in illegal boxing where the rules and safety are lax and create greater risk for participants.

Mook
Champion

But boxing is nothing more than legalised physical violence akin to GBH.

Your comparisons aren't really the same, yes there's a potential risk involved, just as there is crossing the road. But a mountain or a motor car aren't trying to knock you senseless! The risks are far far greater when the aim is to literally put you spark out on your back!

Strat

I wasn't particularly advocating a ban on boxing as I see it as impracticable.

But I don't watch it on TV and I certainly wouldn't go to a live fight.

I just wish these people could find something more sociable to do.

gleneagles
Community Veteran

@Mook 

The key word is legalised.

If it was made illegal would you not agree it would simply go underground and the risk factor of injury or death would not increase.

I stress again I am not a advocate of boxing but would not support it being made illegal.

Mook
Champion

I agree @gleneagles, if anything the risk factor may well increase as it could end up being bare knuckle fighting, the gloves are only used to comply with the rules.

As @Strat says, banning it will be impractical but for the law to condone it in one form and condemn it in another is a tad hypocritical. But what can I, or anyone do about it, it it what it is, but I for one will not support it.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ban boxing today, karate next week, rugby next month, and this time next year there will be a ban on all physical contact sports - including arm wrestling. 

Next up, ban all sports where somebody loses as it causes stress. 

😂

Strat

One looked to be all fat and flab, the other looked to be all muscle.

The fat and flab won Shocked

If boxing becomes compulsory I stand a good chance of winning.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Strat 

Anthony Joshua v Andy Ruiz Jr June 2019?

Lost the re-match, but what a corker of a fight!

Go on, you know you want to check it out. 😉

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@gleneagles  Dog fighting is illlegal...C***k] fighting is illegal, so banning boxing will only send it underground. Unfortunately humans (most or some) like to see others whether human or animal tearing each other to pieces and inflicting pain. I dont think this will ever change. At least with boxing it is regulated so there is some protection from the worst excessses and is done by consenting adults who know the risks. Crazy2

Strat

Huge profits are involved so the 'sport' is guaranteed a long life.