cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyres

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tyres

Being in the market for a new set of tyres, my local ATS Euro (cough, spit) Master outlet offers inflation with nitrogen at £1.25 per tyre.
All major airlines inflate their aircraft tyres with nitrogen.
Anyone here ever inflated their car tyres with nitrogen? If so were there any advantages or otherwise.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tyres

I'm not planning to land my car at 150mph onto a runway with the wheels not rotating, so don't see the point.
A "revenue opportunity" is all it is.  Cheesy
I've read comments about damp air in tyres causing corrosion, but with modern alloy wheels is that an issue?
Razorback
Grafter

Air is nearly 80% Nitrogen anyway so seems an excessive charge for the remaining 20%.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Unless you're going to drive at 30,000 feet...
The main real difference is that Nitrogen should be virtually 100% dry (no water vapour to condense/freeze at very low temperatures such as encountered at high altitude).
Some claim that Nitrogen escapes more slowly than air (80% Nitrogen + 20% Oxygen for practical purposes) but they'd still need the pressure topping up occasionally and this will cost if you intend to keep the tyres full of Nitrogen only.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

According to the British Tyre Manufacturers’ Association it's basically pointless expense.
See: http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Nitrogen-inflation-for-car-tyres.pdf
Razorback
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Unless you're going to drive at 30,000 feet...

According to Back to the Future 2 we should all be flying in cars by next year
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Always use real air - thats my opinion.
Anyone who's seen transporter 3 will appreciate that! You get trapped under water in your car and you still have amn air supply  Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Also used in A View to a Kill Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

From the ATS Euromaster web site http://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/nitrogen-inflation
I didn't say I was going to use nitrogen, just interested if other members had any experience.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The idea is that pure nitrogen supposedly doesn't expand and contract as it heats or cools as with regular air, so that hot tyres are still at about the same pressure as they were when they were cold, but for that to be of any use you need to be a racing driver, a pilot, or some twit in a chavved up corsa who thinks a 1.2L engine with cheap addons is a million horsepower beast...  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
The idea is that pure nitrogen supposedly doesn't expand and contract as it heats or cools as with regular air
OMG someone has rewritten the rules of physics on the internet Crazy
Quote from: Razorback
Air is nearly 80% Nitrogen anyway
Community Veteran

I thought it was more to do with nitrogen molecules being larger and harder to escape from an inflated tyre?
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
OMG someone has rewritten the rules of physics on the internet Crazy

I never said it was right though, I believe it about as much as I believe a politician's promises to do good... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
I never said it was right though
Indeed, I saw the  Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I understand you should not blow up your car tyres by mouth because of the high moisture content of your breath. This would lead to varying pressure as the tyres heat up/cool down.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.