cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyres again!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tyres again!!

My 05 Toyota Avensis has tyres I don't know the history of (one of my pet dislikes about used cars) so the tyres are to be replaced.
The 17inch wheels are currently shod with a mixture of budget 215/45. now here comes the anomaly.... the user manual specifies 215/50 section.
I have checked with three local tyre outlets who have all checked their back-listings and show that 215/45 is the correct size of tyres.
Calling my local Toyota main dealer got a lot of uhmm's and ahrr's and very vague responses, leaving me with the distinct impression that they didn't know what make and size of tyres were fitted to their cars. One would have thought the manufacturer would!!.
One tyre outlet <ATS Euro> suggested the problem with user manuals is that they are generic. The same car has a model with 16inch wheels and that maybe where the answer lies.
I have though ordered 4 new Goodyear Eagles 215/45 from Kwik Fit...the cheapest price, and the only product I would normally use KF for, plus I could book an appointment for fitting that suited me.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tyres again!!

Oh I forgot to mention...
215/50 tyres of whatever make are considerably more expensive (even online) than 215/45. in some cases £50+ more per tyre.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Don't most cars these days have a plate on the inside of the drivers door detailing tyre pressures for the various size of tyres capable of being fitted to the vehicle ? That should show what options there are for 17" wheels
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

What size does it say if you enter your reg number here: http://www.blackcircles.com/ ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Thanks for that W23.
It shows 215/45. Which is what "everybody" else except Toyota themselves says are the right tyres.
Puts my mind at rest somewhat. Perhaps it was a mis-translation from the original Japanese Undecided

Community Veteran

In any case there's about 3% difference in diameter between the two tyre sizes - I believe that up to 5% is usually OK (a guideline typically used by suppliers of after-market alloy wheels).
I'd say having decent tyres with a good tread and correct pressure is much more important than the small size difference even if the 215/50 is somehow correct.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Had a quick look online to see exactly what the numbers mean. Here's the result..

"Here's what each section of the code means, using the tyre size and specification 175/65 R14 T as an example: 175 Tyre width in mm. 65 Tyre sidewall profile – sidewall height expressed as a percentage of its width. R Radial (rather than a cross ply) 14 Diameter of the wheel rim, in inches."
So in reality not a great deal of difference and the pricingHuh  probably simply the volumes produced.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In theory the diameter of your wheel can affect the speedometer reading.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Yes, if the outside diameter of the tyre's around 3% smaller you will be travelling around 2mph slower at an indicated 70mph  Cheesy
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: MisterW
Don't most cars these days have a plate on the inside of the drivers door detailing tyre pressures for the various size of tyres capable of being fitted to the vehicle ? That should show what options there are for 17" wheels

Interesting, to see Petlew has issues with Toyota on what tyres should be fitted... and with Misterw info ... I have a similar "problem"...
there is a paper list stuck inside the petrol cap cover, which gives the tyre sizes and pressures..... on my car it lists 185/15 but the car is actually fitted with 195/15  ... I rang the dealer to ask what pressures I should use, and he said .... "use the 185/15"   ...
according to the "blackcircles" linky... the correct tyres fitted are 195/15    
According to my Satnav... when my speedo reads 40 mph, I am doing 38mph on the satnav speed indication.... likewise further up and further down the scale....
Community Veteran

@ shutter, perhaps get an indelible black marker and change the 185 on the sticker to 195 (problem solved?)  Grin
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Better than that.... I wrote my own sticky lable ! ! !   Cheesy  ( mainly because the original was in Kp or something,.. and I couldn`t understand it... so I wrote mine in lbs !  Smiley)
Community Veteran

@shutter, reference your sat nav speed differences. Used in three different cars I don't think my sat nav has ever agreed with the speedo at any speed above walking pace.
I brought it up in this forum some years ago when I first started using a sat nav, asking  which was the most accurate sat nav or speedo, given that speedometers are not 100% accurate anyway, there is a +/- percentage standard but I can't remember what it is. Only daily calibrated Police speedometers can be relied on for accuracy <as a matter of interest, speeding tickets have been beaten when it can be shown that a traffic car's speedo hasn't been calibrated at the beginning of a shift>
Anyway I digress, the answer I got was that it all depends on the whether the sat nav is going up or down hill through bends and curves, only on a bubble flat long straight road can a sat nav speed reading be thought of as accurate, so its probably safer (if its important at the time) to rely on the cars speedometer.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

My "new" car was supposed to have the pressure on the petrol lid as well. But it is completely blank. After a bit of searching around I decided on 2.1 (or 32 in old money)
Just found out I have 2 slow punctures on them as well. Off to get that sorted tomorrow.
Fixes: 47

When I used w23's link above I have a choice
FRONT TYRE SIZE                      REAR TYRE SIZE
Select this option 205/55R16 W 91 (Same as front tyre)
Select this option 205/50R17 W 93 (Same as front tyre)
Select this option 225/40R18 W 92 (Same as front tyre)

I'm glad the wheel size fitted is the cheapest option Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation