cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyred again...

Fixes: 125

Tyred again...

Yesterday SWMBO rang me in a bit of a panic as she was told to pull over by another driver as smoke was coming from the back of the car.
With no safe place close and no hard shoulder on the A299 she had to pull over on the grass verge which was narrow and meant the car was half on the carriageway. I suggested she gets out the passenger side and investigate the problem which turned out to be a wheel without a tyre!
I rang the RAC who said the wait time was around an hour but I told them she was a young lady on her own and the car was in a dangerous position. They arrived in less than 15 minutes and 15 minutes later had the spare fitted. The spare was a temporary wheel something I'd never heard of before but, apparently, it's only to be used at lower speeds and for short journeys until the original can be replaced/repaired.
The tyres on the Zafira are 205/55 H 16 (although the manual states they should be R or does that not matter?). With a plethora of types and manufacturers out there I am now not sure what to get to replace it. I'm not going for the cheapest but is there any benefit in going for the most expensive?
It seems that the current tyres are Premium Contact which seem to be made by Continental which work out at £80.47 fully fitted at Kwik Fit. Should I get an exact match?
Based on the info 205/55 H 16 does that mean I can get any set of 16" wheel trims s long as the bolt holes match?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

48 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Tyred again...

If she's been driving on the wheel without a tyre it may have damaged the rim of the wheel, you need to have it checked by a tyre firm.garage.  I generally avoid mixing tyre make/models on the same axle.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

The RAC guy said it looked OK but, yes, I will get it checked out. I wasn't planning on changing the tyre myself Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

I would also recommend fitting the same make/model of tyre on one axle.
Depending on the wear of the good tyre on the other side I would change both at the same time.
That would give you the opportunity to take advantage of tyre deals usually available.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

OK.... here is a linky..... and.. it`s a Kwik Fit linky too ! ..
http://www.kwik-fit.com/writing-on-my-tyres.asp

Just use the chart to work out whay the R and the H stand for....
Basically, this is the safe speed for the load indicated .......   So. R is 106 and H is 130mph.....
As others have pointed out...you need to have a "pair" on front /rear" axles....  so if the "other" one is useable,... and the rim is still ok... and there is room in the boot/sparewheel storage, then,get a spare rim from a scrappy to  use that as the "running" spare, and dump the thin one.... ... at least you will have "proper" wheels on the road next time....and it could be icy or snowing then................
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

You can look for the "right" tyres at http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

You might want to try these people as well :
http://www.blackcircles.co.uk
They'll give you a choice based on your vehicle's reg no.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Normally you wouldn't catch me within a mile of Kwik Fit, but I do use them for tyres - on cost grounds, and that you can order online at reduced price and book a time to fit - my usual service garage always recommends Goodyear tyres, which are not the most expensive in the KF range, both of my cars are now shod all round with Goodyear Eagles.
I used Dunlop for a couple of tyre changes, but have now ceased due to their extremely high wear rate, I had a pair of Dunlops on the front of my older Toyota Avensis that lasted less than 10k miles before they went below legal. The current Goodyears are fast approaching that mileage with very little obvious wear. Although I got a large nail puncture in one around a week after they were fitted, but it repaired Ok with no restrictions. And yes, my steering setup was checked and found to be Ok.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.

Thanks for all the replies. Never had any major issues with Kwik Fit so will probably order online.

Community Veteran

I use Etyres these days. They come to the house so no need to hang around some greasy waiting room!
Geoff,
York.

Thanks, NedLudd.
Had a look at that site but it worked out cheaper with Kwik Fit even though it was £10 mobile fitting for just 1 tyre.
I decided against replacing both rear tyres bearing in mind that the car has done less that 12,000 since new and the treads are hardly worn.
So, with the welcome cheque from PlusNet received this morning, Quido cashback and cash back using my credit card the tyre has cost the princely sum of around £25 Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some excellent replies to the OP.
@Mav,
You did say you were not planning on changing the tyre yourself and there would be no advantage in doing so, I wonder if anyone on this forum ever changed a tyre using the old tyre levers, I can see a lot of disadvantages in trying to do it yourself, not something I have ever tried or thought of doing.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: gleneagles
I wonder if anyone on this forum ever changed a tyre using the old tyre levers

Only on my bicycle!  Cheesy
Even with proper (LARGE) car type tyre levers I'd definitely not recommend anyone having a go unless they're really confident, if the wheels are alloy then definitely leave for the experts with properly equipped workshops.
I bought my most recent tyres from mytyres.co.uk and booked fitting at a local garage through the same website.  The fitting was, if I remember correctly, around £5 per tyre.
I didn't recommend this website in this particular case because you have to wait for the tyres to be delivered from Germany (they deliver to your nominated fitting station if you choose).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.

The Carlsberg of forums Cool Cool

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mav,
You did say you were not planning on changing the tyre yourself and there would be no advantage in doing so, I wonder if anyone on this forum ever changed a tyre using the old tyre levers, I can see a lot of disadvantages in trying to do it yourself, not something I have ever tried or thought of doing.

Many Many times..... I used to live in a country cottage, well away from "civilisation"... down a rough track.... had a Renault 12 at the time... and they ran in tyres with innertubes.... very often found I needed to change the wheels, and do the tyre removal... made my own Bead Cracking tool,... up against a tree.... then used tyre levers to remove the tyre....  remove the inner tube,  do the puncture repair, and then tyre lever the tyre back onto the rim.... I got real good at it, best time was 15 mins from start to back on the road...
I also used to have two spare wheels in the boot, and a couple of spare innertubes... along with the tyre levers, as, occasionally, I would find myself away from home, and doing roadside puncture repair ..... eventually sold the Renault ... and made two vows..... 1st.... never buy another Renault.... and 2nd.... any car I bought must have tubeless tyres....
Still got the tyre levers in the boot... ! ! !...  Cheesy