cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyre pressure

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tyre pressure

The car is around 13 years old with the same alloys wheels and one wheel is losing air at a fairly slow rate, couple of pounds a week.

I am convinced the problem is the beading on the alloy rim and a check with soapy water should confirm it, the valve is not leaking air, tested with the spit on the finger method.

The solution might be a visit to the local tyre fitters but there is no guarantee this would work if the metal has become porus or if they simply wire brush the rim and apply that paint the rim with that liquid.

Looking on the internet a number of people have used a substance called, GOOP. with good effect, the claim is that it does not make a mess of the tyre like similar products that are used for punctures and may even work if you are unfortunate enough to get a puncture.

Be interested to hear other peoples views about this. Goop costs around £ 10 and is enough for 2 tyres.

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Re: Tyre pressure

Ageing alloys can leak caused by minute cracks in the alloy this is made worse due to the moisture in the air which is why some tires are filled with nitrogen. If this is the case with yours then using an inner tube will fix this, assuming these are still available!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Had an almost identical problem with the front nearside tyre on my car. Tyre repaired by Kwik Fit. Continued to lose pressure. Replaced the tyre with new. Tyre continued to go down. Took car to my regular service garage, who found the fault, a small kerb damage indentation, the wheel was "knocked-out" tyre refitted and had no problem since.

Check the wheel rim for kerb damage.

Failing that. Some while back my garage - again - found when replacing a set on my previous car that the inside of the alloy rims were badly corroded (road salt) leaving a rough uneven surface. The wheels were skimmed on the inner rim and painted with an anti-corrosion "paint". That car also suffered with slow tyre deflation on three of the almost new tryres. Problem solved. er! one of the tyres did have a genuine screw through it though which was repairable.

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@gleneagles

Which wheel is it, front nearside?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Another possibility is the valvestem could have a leak around it or through the valve core itself, the valve core you can replace your self easily, but the whole valvestem would need to be done by a tyre place...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles

Which wheel is it, front nearside?

Front wheel, drivers side.

For above posts it seems there are a variety of causes.

The cheapest option does seem to be the Goop option, if it does not work then £ 10 down the drain.

I had thought about inner tubes but do tyre fitting centres still stock these in the appropriate sizes and if so would it not make more sense using a tube rather than getting your alloy wheels repaired ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Just be aware that putting "stuff" into a tyre is only meant to be a get-you-home or to a tyre place solution, and a tyre place will charge more money to clean it out of the rim and tyre (assuming they're refitting it)...

Minivanman
Hero

@gleneagles

Then it could be the alloy wheel as you suggest but not sure I'd want to do a quick fix with goop.

Tyre off and a quick check of both I would suggest and if needs be then a new wheel and/or a new tyre painful as that may be money wise.

My Mrs has a nasty habit of catching that front nearside and even managed to scrape the wheel the first week of having the car. Easy to do I suppose but no less annoying. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Take the car to a local tyer merchant... private guys, rather than the big boys.... ask him to remove wheel and give it a test...  I had similar problem and could not see what it was until the wheel was removed and he covered the tyre with some soapy water solution... this showed up some bubbling on the tread, so he removed the tyre, and then removed a six inch long steel pin... about the size of a good size darning needle... the end was actually not sighted in the tread area, i.e. the running had squashed it into the rubber ... he did the repair, as I waited, and charged me a tenner cash... well pleased.. 

Minivanman
Hero

Sorry shutter, but it's the big boys for me every time and fortunate to have one local. Always good as gold, always a fair price, they have all the right equipment and believe it or not never charge for just checking over or putting air in - which brings me to another beef of mine.

Why are all filling stations not obliged by law to have air-lines? Our nearest Texaco garage does not have one because there "is no call for one" and instead they tell us to go to yep, that local big boy tyre fitter! 

I made Texaco aware of this but was told that although they sympathise, because it was a private franchise....

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:
I made Texaco aware of this but was told that although they sympathise, because it was a private franchise....

I think this line answers the question, that being an air line costs money to have, even if it's not used, as I assume they are leased. Our nearest Texaco has an air line but it's 50p a pop!

Minivanman
Hero

Remember when they were free and all part of the service? 

Sheesh. 

Community Veteran

Yes, and a lot more besides there was a time not to long ago when someone would fill up the car for you, and bring the change back to the car.

Anonymous
N/A

You could always splash out on one of these:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1479331

Community Veteran

Complimented with a set of these.