cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyre life

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tyre life

I Know there are a lot of factors to consider but what is the average life of a car tyre in terms of mileage.
Years ago I seemed to get 25,000 to 30,000 out of a front set of tyres but on my current diesel car (which I accept is heavier) they are nearly down to the legal limit at 12,000 miles.
I'm using standard Firestone tyres so it's not down to some cheap make of tyre.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Tyre life

is that uniform wear across the surface or edge wear
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I had a similar problem and thought it was due to the steering being out of alignment... so took it to a local tyre firm (not Kwik fit etc) got out of the car, and the guy looked at me, and said, you need your lower wishbone bushes renewing before you get the tracking done....  so I went to another garage, and at £12 each, plus another £13 each to fit them... the problem seems to have been solved....
incidentally, this problem was not spotted when I had my MOT done a few months before hand... (although I knew there was a tyre wear problem before the MOT, and had new tyres fitted for the MOT).
Community Veteran

Uniform wear.
I always get my wheels balanced and aligned.
I Know the shock absorbers if worn can have an effect on tyre wear as can power steering and how much driving you do in wet weather.
Tyre pressures are also checked on a regular basis.
Fixes: 104

i get 25,000 ish out of mine also a diesel.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

heavy right foot  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Our car managed about 12k on new tyres before it went off the road dead. Half way down towards the marker on the tyre now so i would imagine it would do about 20k. Can't remember the brand but they're a brand name not budget tyres. I'll post back here tomorrow if i remember. They were all new when we got it. The car is (was) a 2.5 petrol with a heavy right foot so i'm pretty pleased they lasted this long tbh.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My nearest Toyota main dealer complained about my tyres when it went in for a service in February. Their opinion being that Pirelli are fast wearing due to a softer compound than some other makers. Needless to say I have Pirelli P6000's fitted. Can't say I've noticed faster wear but, the previously fitted (by the previous owner) mix of Dunlop and Goodyear on the rear found of, similar age that the Goodyear had lasted much better than the Dunlop.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Resorted to doing something I have not done for over 30 years, I changed the front wheels for the back wheels which are hardly worn at all so that should keep me going for a few more MOTs on the mileage I do per annum.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was tempted to do that too glen but then i thought if i do that i'll end up having to replace all 4 at the same time so i decided to leave as-is and just replace 2 at a time.
On the tyre wearing note, i know someone who had a 3L ford estate car a year or two ago. She got rid of it within the year as the tyres on it would wear down within 6k miles and she's a light pedal driver.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Rapid tyre wear is mostly caused by driving behaviour, as is rapid brake pad wear.
Also town / local driving will cause more tyre wear than motorway driving.
Car sympathy will extend both tyre and brake pad wear.
My car is  a 2002 model and I have had from new, it has 125k on the clock. I have just fitted the fourth set of tyres and I am on the second set of brake pads.
I have had expensive tyres and mid price tyres and have got similar mileage from both.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

came across this recently, taken me days to refind it,  American - Valkyrie motor bike http://www.rattlebars.com/valkfaq/#TIRES ; it has comparison tyre life for various makes