cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tyre'd

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Tyre'd

Just had my car re-shod with a full set of new boots (Ok that's enough of the motoring vernacular) with the much recommended but fairly economic Dunlop SP 60 Fast Response. I'm not absolutely sure but, I think the previous (front only) Pirelli P6000's only lasted under 12k. As far as hear, I'm not the only one to be disappointed with the high wear associated with these popular and heavily pushed by tyre outlets tyres.
First impressions of the Dunlop's are that they are much quieter than the Pirelli's and steer very well indeed  living up to their name.
There was no problem with the steering geometry and set-up. Got a free tracking check at Kwik-Fit (not where the tyres were fitted) and got out having not paid a penny, hard as they tried to find something wrong!! "spot on" he said tearing up the receipt he was making out...
So, so far very pleased with the tyres, recommended.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
21 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Tyre'd

Is it a case that hard wearing tyres equal less grip and tyres that wear equal more grip?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

grip is more down to the tread pattern, although side slip does like softer rubber
itsme
Grafter

F1 tyres no tread more grip than tyres with tread.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

except in the wet Cool Cool
itsme
Grafter

yes that why you have treads. But traction on dry roads is down to the amount of rubber in contact with the road and the rubber compound, softer rubber more traction.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Note to self - must buy some winter tyres for the old heap.  Anyone else use www.blackcircles.com ?  You can save a bundle with them.
I surprised myself when I discovered recently there are summer tyres, all-weather tyres and also winter tyres. We live on a hill which takes the local council a couple of weeks to salt/grit when there's snow.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

F1 tyres break all the laws of Physics
With perfect traction it is said to be impossible to get more than 1G in acceleration or breaking,  I think drag cars approach 5G
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Purchased a set of firestone tyres a couple of years ago, do less than 6,000 a year yet the front ones are well down.
Swapped them with the back ones which were hardly worn but understand (after I did it) It's not the wisest of things to do.
Also advised a front tyre blowout was not as dangerous as a rear tyre blow out, no doubt someone more experienced than me may wish to comment on these points.
Fixes: 47

It's the grip that MotoGP bike tyres get that amazes me Shocked

The tyres fitted to my car when I bought it looked very good and meaty but they under-steered like crazy.
I have Dunlop SP Sports on now and they are a whole world better.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Note to self - must buy some winter tyres for the old heap.  Anyone else use www.blackcircles.com ?  You can save a bundle with them.

If you are thinking about winter tyres better do some research on supply as a friend in the motor trade who is a skier was going to fit winter tyres to his car but found there is a supply issue. Can't remember what exactly the problem is but due to manufacturing patterns in the factories.
I'm always amazed how good winter tyres are.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

/* shows age
In winter I always used to change to Town and Country tyres but this was before Global Warming and I lived in North Yorkshire
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: itsme

Do tell, are they any better on black ice etc?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanb
Grafter

How do you wear out your tyres that quick Petlew?
Front tyres on my VW Golf last at least 30,000. The last pair were changed after 32,000 miles, the ones before lasted 33,500.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Quote from: itsme

Do tell, are they any better on black ice etc?

No, I believe snow socks are the best on black ice.