Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Typical tories..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Typical tories..

I just found this..

I don't think i need to tell you all how i feel about IDS or the general tory attitude towards the poor...
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
114 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Typical tories..

Lets face it most MP's are fakes.
Two bit actors playing a part that will appeal to the largest number of gullible voters.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I thought fraud was illegal.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It is, except when you're a politician or CEO of big business... Cool
Community Veteran

Unless I'm reading things wrong it was the DWP (a department of the Civil Service) that fabricated the 'stories' for their leaflet.
No evidence either way (yet) whether this was sanctioned by 'government'.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

No matter who it was, someone on a very high salary must have approved it.
Not the first time this type of thing has happened and it will not be the last.
Forget ,Truth, all that counts these days are the results.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
No matter who it was, someone on a very high salary must have approved it.

Sadly, VERY true.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

It's great what a FoI request can discover, which is why the rules around it will be changed in future.
Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
No evidence either way (yet) whether this was sanctioned by 'government'.

I'm always confused by this. Sanctions when it comes to benefits or foreign countries mean restrictions or cuts... and in other contexts it's used to permit something.
My old boss would sanction overtime on special occasions.. took a while to get used to that.
Quote from: M
It's great what a FoI request can discover, which is why the rules around it will be changed in future.

Indeedy matey.. I once FOI'd a local authority to find out what their plans were for handling unexpected ghost trains on a nearby disused railway line and whether or not those trains would be subject to the same safety regulations etc.
To my surprise they actually replied and said that despite careful examination of their emergency risk registers, they actually had no plan for this unforeseen event. They actually waited the full 28 days before replying too  Crazy
Community Veteran

alot of the benefit related stories are fake, I am surprised they admitted this one.
even more surprised to read about it today on my phone via bbc news app, I guess the gov forgot to block the story.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

of course its made up, it would be illegal to use real people and information in those leaflets, thee was a similar non news story some years ago when the then minister explicitly stated they are illustrative examples (which is a posh way of saying fiction) and that they are used to provide employees with a scenario depicting the outcome of various courses of action under the scheme (the same system is used in pension schemes and various other leaflet campaigns, its also used for the cancer adverts on tv,  but instead of being written the actors perform the illusion so you don't have to conjure up the scene).
the shear stupidity of the jorno who upon reading the text:  "illustrative examples are used throughout this leaflet" who then had to actually create submit and wait for an FoI request to be answered for the fake news story is somewhat incomprehensible, never mind the Muppets who jump up and down without even looking at the source material about how bad the government are (because some civil serpents produced a bunch of leaflets and distributed them)
actually anyone reading the leaflets who didn't scoff at the very notion of the supposed comments from claimants that had been sanctioned being great full needs to be sacked for incompetence 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@nanotm
Or to put it another way the target audience would probably have difficulty understanding the concept of hypothetical or third person so they put it as a first person example for the social media generation to understand.  Wink Cheesy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

thngs have been done like that in certain circles for as long as I can remember, but it seems every few years some illeducated slob dribbles some crap on a keyboard and it gets hosted by a media outlet and given voice as if its something new ....
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
of course its made up, it would be illegal to use real people and information in those leaflets

Without their consent yes but not if they gave consent.
Not that the government ever worry about the law... they just preach it to the rest of us  Angry
nanotm
Pro

Even with consent they could not release details of actions taken or reasons why it was necessary to do so without a court order compelling the release in a publication due to DPA rules.
Given all the legal complications of using real information about real people it's far simpler to create the scenario based on events that happened or based on desirable outcomes both of which come under the heading of illustrative purposes, or made up, and in such cases the literature carries a demarcation to the effect, in the case of the benefits leaflets it's printed in the text quite clearly denoting the fact /
Of course it was likely produced under the guidance of IDS and shows what he was thinking, which whilst achieving the desirable outcome is rather different from what the claimants' themselves think about the system that gets them to the end goal, and for some it's totally unrealistic to push for that desired outcome in the manner being used, but not unrealistic to expect that it's achieved in the end.