Rising Star

Typical Blair Overkill

Toast becomes a weapon of mass destruction  Roll eyes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/8603094.stm
10 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Typical Blair Overkill

one of the rules of the fire service is if they have turned out, the go to the call location, they do not turn back.
We live on the route between our local firestation and what used to be Black Notley hospital, it was a regular event that fire engines went for burnt toast.
And as was said, bering a grade one building it was a requirement that it was connected to the fire station
so dont blame the house owner
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
so dont blame the house owner
Why not as they wandered off and left the toast under the grill.
If it hadn't been the Blairs would 4 appliances have been dispatched from 3 different directions?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

depends how big the house is and its construction
Also, I use normal bread, the SWMBO WW airiated board which burns at the slightest excuse
itsme
Grafter

@nadger
Do you have any smoke detectors fitted? If you have you know how easy it is so set them off when doing toast. I set mine off quite often even though the detector is in another room but the toaster is approximately 14 feet away in a straight line. It just need a hint of smoke coming up from the toaster and 15 seconds later the detector has been triggered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

or in my case grilling bacon with the kitchen door open so the fumes can drift upstairs
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
If it hadn't been the Blairs would 4 appliances have been dispatched from 3 different directions?

Yes, absolutely.
It used to belong to John Gielgud before them and is a large GRADE 1 listed building.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Because it is a grade one listed building, the smoke/fire alarm has to be connected 24/7 to the fire station,  by law......
no matter if it was your house, or (as pierre`s posting said) a hospital....
so nothing to do with it being the ex prime minister`s residence...
Community Veteran

You all probably already know this but it's worth pointing out that there're so-called ‘toast proof’ smoke alarms available, which work optically rather than using the standard ionisation. If I recall correctly, it's recommended that people use a combination of both types in their homes, but I guess the optical one could be used for the alarm(s) nearest the kitchen.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I already have an "optical" detector system..... had it for over 65 years........
called "eyes".... most people get them as standard !... Cool
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: itsme
@nadger
Do you have any smoke detectors fitted?
Had them fitted for years and never set them off doing toast possibly because, as shutter says, we use our optical detectors and don't wander off with something under the grill.