Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Types of valves for water isolation from the main supply

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Types of valves for water isolation from the main supply

My present mains isolation valve is the normal screw down brass type

I just had to isolate the water system in preparation for a new dishwasher - only one problem the valve is seized up

Easy solution - I went outside to the water company isolation valve which worked a treat

Now that valve is a quarter turn plastic unit so why can't I use a similar device instead of the screw down washer type and , if so, are there any special requirements

7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Types of valves for water isolation from the main supply

You could try one of these...

http://www.plumbase.co.uk/aladdin-easyfit-isolator-valve-5504-3561094

Which seems a good idea...... especially for "older people" as it would be easier, and quicker, to turn off in an emergency

EDIT   note..... it does say in the writing underneath;.... must be fitted with one of these..

http://www.plumbase.co.uk/aladdin-easyfit-isolator-tool-5504-3561107

so.... why don`t they put the two in the same box. and "one price it"......

OK... so a plumber will only need to buy one isolator tool, but there should be that "option" in the sales blurb...

Community Veteran

this partly answers the question - the regulations changed

https://www.arrowvalves.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/pdfs/Water_Regs_Tutorial_9-Isolating_Valves.pdf

Under the old Byelaws, the “stopvalve” to a property was normally to BS1010 or BS5433. These are of
the screw down type (with rising headworks), which incorporate a rubber washer. The new Regulations
no longer specify a type of valve and spherical “Ball” valves may be used. R2.8 states that any valve
may be used providing it confirms to an appropriate British Standard (e.g. BSI Kitemarked), or
appropriate European standard, or the Regulator’s specification (e.g. WRAS / Kiwa UK) and it is suitable
for the purpose.

Although the use of Ball Valves as stopvalves is now permitted, there are some conditions.

Topic I37 states –

“For ease of operation and to prevent any unnecessary delay in isolating the water supply, only spherical
valves with an integral operating handle or lever should be used as stop valves.”

G2.8 makes it clear that spherical valves may be used for above and below ground applications.
Indeed the valves supplied by the water company in the meter box are normally spherical.

Community Veteran

Contacted Pegler and any of their PB300 valves will do the job so I will probably go for the PB300T

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks for the post, Jim..... just re-checked the write up on the one I posted,... and it says

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Safe to use on mains potable water supplies, the valve received WRAS approval. Manufactured in stainless steel body with brass core and large visible red handle.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

So it will do the job and be within the regulations.

Thanks?  Because,.... our stop [-Censored-] is under the sink, at the back of a cupboard,... and is a right difficult place to get any turning torque on it, at arms length... and is really very hard to turn... either on, or off...  so I am going to see if I can get someone to come and fit one a bit further up the pipe, ( about 2ft from the ground, where the other one is fitted ! )..

harrym1byt
Rising Star

As a matter of course, anything I need to service these days in the house, I install a full flow 1/4 turn screwdriver operated ball valve. Almost everything now has a valve next to it, making it easy to just isolate the thing I am working on and saves isolating the whole house.

I like to make my repairs as quick and easy as possible....

The CH valve actuator is a common failure item. I keep a spare and adapted the CH joint box, to make the actuator a plug in item to save faffing. I keep a spare actuator, ready to plug in. I also have just added a several LED's to the CH joint box, so I can quickly work out what has failed from what is lit. LED's can be run on mains voltage, if you know how.  

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

shutter wrote:
stop [-Censored-]

I like how stopcock (or at least the "Male Chicken", short for Cockerel, part) is censored... Funny

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Talking of which and with a mind on the cold weather, I am constantly amazed at the number of people with outside taps that do not have an independent shut off valve inside in case that tap freezes. I've already made sure mine is shut off and empty of any water in the pipe.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.