cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two planes catch fire in the USA

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Two planes catch fire in the USA

A FEDEX cargo plane caught fire, after the landing gear collapsed on landing at Fort Lauderdale

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/fedex-cargo-plane-fire/index.html

A passenger plane catches fire before take off.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/28/us/ohare-aircraft-incident/

18 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Two planes catch fire in the USA

Well things are hotting up in the USA at the moment Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

170 passengers and crew on the American Airlines plane. An engine fault was to blame.

All credit to the crew for their speedy and safe evacuation.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Hmm, Concorde had engine fires that made things go bad, maybe these planes of these models should all be grounded permanently too... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

artmo wrote:

An engine fault was to blame.

Reports seem to be saying now that a pair of tyres blew out and pieces punctured the right-inner fuel tank causing fuel to be drawn into the engine.  Even more like Concorde!

American 383.jpg

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Imagine waiting at the airport for your flight and you see something like this happening, hardly inspires confidence in the airlines.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

twocvbloke wrote:

Hmm, Concorde had engine fires that made things go bad, maybe these planes of these models should all be grounded permanently too... Grin

I would not call the Concorde incident, a matter of mirth...  ( ref to you smiley ),...

But I do agree with your sentiment that engines of this type and manufacture should be removed from service, until such times as can be proved safe to use again.

Community Veteran

The 767 has been in service since the 80s with a good safety record. There is no need to stop them flying. There are 4 engines that are used on this aircraft.

The NTSB will make an initial investigation and if they feel there is an engine defect that could affect other aircraft they have the power to ground or order modification to other engines.

Community Veteran

twocvbloke wrote:

Concorde had engine fires that made things go bad, maybe these planes of these models should all be grounded permanently too

It should have been the lax rubbish strewn airport that was permanently closed.

Community Veteran

shutter wrote:

I would not call the Concorde incident, a matter of mirth...  ( ref to you smiley ),...

Oh I know that, but the way they handled it after the crash (which wasn't Concorde's fault, it was the lazy twits who didn't clean the runway properly!) was utterly laughable, instead of working to improve concorde or to create a new version to replace it, they decided to scrap the lot and go with the current standard of massive planes with even more people onboard that were slower and, in the event of a disaster, more heartbreaking when they go down...

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Its the economics of size Thumbs Up the more you can get in it works out cheaper to run Wink

Concord was a lot FASTER Smiley but with only a few passengers costs were high .

Basically what we have now are a lot of Titanic,s flying around the sky waiting for a Iceberg , which will happen soon Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

rongtw wrote:
Concord was a lot FASTER Smiley but with only a few passengers costs were high .

So, the solution is to develop the supersonic flight principle and make it bigger to accommodate more people, with modern engines, new technology and the advances in materials & contruction of aircraft, a new concorde could work out nicely...

But, nope, scrap the lot and go big & slow... Crazy2

Community Veteran

You don't think they haven't looked to develop a larger supersonic plane do you?  It is true that if a plane goes down all on board are generally killed but having said that flying is still safe and a lot safer than driving a car.

Community Veteran

Oh I know they've looked into it, but at the moment the air flight companies are only interested in the "Stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap" mentality, which is a shame as it means that the designs for faster travel are held back in favour of profit...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

artmo wrote:

You don't think they haven't looked to develop a larger supersonic plane do you?  It is true that if a plane goes down all on board are generally killed but having said that flying is still safe and a lot safer than driving a car.

Flying is not safe, it's just safer that some other forms of transport with figures being an unfair comparison given that far more people can fit on a plane than into car. Actually, I cannot think of anything we do as being 100% 'safe' Shocked   

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.