cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitter

rmerewood
Dabbler

Twitter

I've been meaning to jump on this bandwagon for a while now, and Neil A. linking to "How companies connect using Twitter" on our internal forums gave me a reminder. I've gone along and set up an account as rowan_m but I'm wondering what I should be doing with it. That said, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with Facebook when I joined and that's now started sucking away a noticeable portion of my life.
So, I thought I'd throw that out here. Since I sit around developing and working with our guys in India all day, what kind of things that I might say that you might be interested in hearing? That's as a customer, maybe as a geek and (dare I say it?  Tongue ) as another human being...
27 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Twitter

Well........ I read that link about companies "twittering", and my reaction was "what on earth are they on about?"  Undecided
rmerewood
Dabbler

Quote from: shutter
"what on earth are they on about?"

Exactly. I don't really want to waffle on if no-one's interested in listening. I mean, I can do that in real life. However, if there are little things on my mind - some new technology we're using, maybe some Plusnet problem I'm working on, or even something about the dried, salted chilies the Indian guys brought over (blows your head off),,, is it something people might like to hear?
Community Veteran

You can always have a "waffle" on the chit-chat forum...... If there is any interest..... you will soon find out ! ! !
If not, you can always join in, and have a laug  Grin Grin Grinh, (or cry)  Cry Cry Cry
James
Grafter

I really worry about you sometimes, Shutter.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

It reminds me of the old expression GIGO Garbage in Garbage out
Also is not the end of the month  yet Gerry
Community Veteran

Thanks for worrying about me...  nice to know someone cares !...
as for the end of the month..... I`m using the "free" ones you sent me ! !..
Cheesy
jmd
Grafter

what is Twitter - apart from folk do on these forums? Huh
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes, our weekend ramble in the Chit-Chat sessions regularly have links in them, maybe we dont change the coloulr to red, but who cares, at least we can have a  laugh at our own expense not the world at large, who havnt a clue about uss
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 64

Quote from: jmd
what is Twitter - apart from folk do on these forums? Huh

It's weird. I've got an account but I find it difficult to grasp what the fuss is all about TBH. From what I can tell you develop a network of friends in a similar fashion to any other social networking site/web app. You can then send short messages either via the Twitter interface or using SMS on your mobile. These messages can then be populated to your friends using either the web interface or an SMS to their mobile.
So basically, a bit like a Facebook wall/Facebook status involving SMS. Some of this SMS'ing costs though and I get the impression that many would be immediately confused by the concept.
I'm sure it's useful in some respects and I probably haven't given it enough time but that's my 2p for the time being Wink
In fact, come to think of it. I started posting Service Status updates from a PlusNet account on there a while back but quickly got bored.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rmerewood
Dabbler

After just a day of playing with it, I'm thinking that its success is going to be in how people leverage the APIs. From our point of view, it's all about automated pushing of information to interested parties (probably the customer base). I'm thinking - tie it into our rollout system, so that when a project successfully rolls out it updates the status on Twitter and people then know the very moment that a new feature goes live.
Googling around as well reveals that Twitter isn't really attempting to do anything specific with it... yet. So, I think for now I'll throw out random bait and see if I catch anything. Then, maybe a little way down the line we can hook that into something automated.
Ben

Twittering rollout status would be quite nice...You could also (from a project in development point of view) plug twitter into your version control, and 'tweet' you when commits/branches are created.
Would be an interesting thing to do - especially when your developers don't physically sit in the same office as you. :-)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

But whos going to be botherd to look at it, they dont even read the blog, forums, status reports on PlusNet, look at the total number of customers/forum or Plug members
jmd
Grafter

Thanks for some information about what twitter is - but I don't do anything with facebook or any other social networking sites.  This forum is as social as I get internet wise!
I just feel some folk mustbe very sad if they spend all their time of social networking sites.........................
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Total forum member as of now 8170 Members and how many plusNet 250000  not very good