cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitter Trolls

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Twitter Trolls

Should it be the responsibility of the legal system, hence the police and ultimately the tax payer to peruse and the trolls, or should 'Twitter' keep it's own house in order?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Re: Twitter Trolls

If it's an offence under the Malicious Communications Act then I suppose the police and legal system would have to handle it. They're not trolls in the traditional Internet trolling sense of the word, they're just people writing abuse or threats.
What's the worst twitter could do - delete the twitter account, attempt to stop the same person creating another account by banning the IP or email address which could easily be bypassed.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I can think of better things to spend tax payers money on. Having said that I believe the same can be said for many other things.
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

As one of the Twitter directors said, you wouldn't expect a phone company to track down an abusive caller, but you would expect them to help the police do so.
What Twitter should do is make it easier to collect evidence of criminal activity, so the police have more chance of catching these evil-doers (copyright G. W. Bush).
Any report button ought to collect as much info as Twitter has about the poster (not accessible to the reporter) along with the text of the tweet and any comment from the reporter which can then be passed to the police.
Quote from: Steve
I can think of better things to spend tax payers money on. Having said that I believe the same can be said for many other things.

I have to admit, finding people making threats of rape and murder in order to terrorise women seems a good use of police resources.
Why don't you?
Community Veteran

Fully agree with you CaptainFantastic.  Professor Mary Beard received a message on Twitter this week saying a bomb had been placed outside her home.
From The Times:

The television classicist Mary Beard was sent a bomb threat on Twitter just hours after the social networking site’s UK general manager personally apologised to women attacked by “trolls”.
Ms Beard, a professor of classics at the University of Cambridge University, said she had contacted police after receiving a message last night claiming that a bomb had been left outside her home.
She wrote on her Twitter page: “Just got 1 of these messages. A bomb has been placed outside your home. It will go off at exactly 10.47pm and destroy everything. Told police.”
She later wrote: “OK all, it’s

The people sending these messages are cowards.  Bet they wouldn't say these things to a person's face.
The Police should track them down and prosecute them.
Community Veteran

A tragic case of a young girl committing suicide after being trolled
Suicide
The people responsible should be prosecuted.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Thing is though, no-one is forced to join twitter or facebook but you are pretty much forced to live a real life where you are vulnerable to real physical crime such as physical attacks, burglary etc.
While online bullying is without a doubt tough to cope with, I do lean a little in the direction that it shouldn't become the main priority for the police.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why does the media call them trolls?
These people are the seriously deranged types who used to make threatening phone calls.
Only the todays version are even more cowardly.
In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,
by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog),
either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting
normal on-topic discussion.

Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: journeys
Should it be the responsibility of the legal system, hence the police and ultimately the tax payer to peruse and the trolls, or should 'Twitter' keep it's own house in order?

The Police apply this formula with social media...
Someone was upset by hearing a rude word : Get over it you cry baby!
Someone was upset by a rude word they read on Twitter : It's a terrorist attack with added overtime
Btw : If you replace the I in Twitter with an A, PlusNet censors it!
I wonder if an exploding animated GIF is a terror threat, vilefoxdemonofdoom?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: Thunderclap
Btw : If you replace the I in Twitter with an A, PlusNet censors it!

The use of wild cards in the word censor strikes again  Roll eyes- it is a good job we didn't include twit*  Grin