cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tuxedo Royale

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Tuxedo Royale

Well it sunk a few years ago thanks to the [Removed] and then started listing.

Now the Tuxedo Royale looks to finally be heading the way of the scrappy with the local council agreeing to part fund its dismantling - presumably in situ as refloating would solve half of its removal problem instantly.

This ship was one of British Rails Sea Link vessels in its former life and so it saddens me that yet another iconic piece of british history is going to be ruined deliberately by the authorities.

Is there really absolutely no way we can start saving these things as a nation? - Look at the vulcan bomber.. the nation saved that.. why can't we save more iconic stuff?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Derogatory term removed as per Forum rules.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Tuxedo Royale

Never heard of it until now, unlike that bomber. So what's so special about this rusting half sunk hulk?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd also never heard of it 'til today, and looked it up, it looks like it's pretty much a wreck, if it's a piece of history, then, fire up a petition to save it, but as far as I see it, I doubt it'll be refloated and rebuilt, especially as it's been got at by scrap thieves and scuppered as a result...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

So what's so special about this rusting half sunk hulk?

Erm.. it was part of british rail?

linky: http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/dover-iii-past-and-present/

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

On a train yesterday going from west Wales to York via Manchester and passing through Crewe station, I was surprised to see a line of sorry looking chocolate and cream coloured carriages with the old red lion and crown BR logo on the side all of which probably predate that ferry. Now if we cannot preserve those, what chance of finding hundreds and thousands of pounds to float an old boat?

Hoping to visit the railway museum later today or tomorrow Thumbs Up

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Looking at its history, and noting the ship has been pretty much derelict for many years, it'll probably cost millions to get it seaworthy, never mind refurbished or restored to it's former glory, it's one of them things where you have to let such things go, it's worth more as scrap, it's served it's purpose, and has been re-purposed, and has been abandoned by its owner...

PowerLee
Rising Star

Recycle & reuse - its a pile of rusting scrap.