cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off your router for an hour... and go away.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Turn off your router for an hour... and go away.

I'm sure we're not the only ones who have been having connection problems this evening.
On ringing plusnet there is a short message about a network incident before they hang up.
The missus goes to their website on her phone to find that the internet status is 'down'.
She then finds advice to those having trouble connecting saying to turn off the router for one hour and try again  Crazy
http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&?helpheader=servicestatus

Apart from getting rid of gullable customers who might try to pester plusnet, what REAL purpose does this serve? - It certainly doesn't do anything to the router other than wiping the memory and reinitialising the system (which certainly doesn't need an hour!).
Thoughts? (Please.. nobody say it's BT cutting the England <> Scotland connection lol)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Turn off your router for an hour... and go away.

*Edit - the below is an educated guess !
It gives the system a chance to recover rather than everyone trying to reboot their router at the same times as well as providing the bit of breathing space needed to work out what the issues are rather than dealing with the constant flood of customer calls.
I remember as an IT manager, when a server went down, you would spend more time explaining to people that you were working on fixing it than fixing it ! Then there were the repeat calls every 10 minutes - when can we have an ETA ? I need to do my work ! The world is going to end !
I also suspect that by having the routers / modems off, when they are turned back on the connections will be evenly distributed again between the available gateways.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks for posting that, we had that problem tonight and also a few days ago.
All the green lights were lit on the modem but simply got the message no connection even on a wired connection, assumed my modem was going on the blink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

I thought the advice to switch off for an hour was a pretty poor idea really. It might give the impression that everybody trying to re-connect was somehow exacerbating the problem.
Considering that about 100,000 people did manage to get back online within about an hour, I think the impact of a much smaller number of people deciding to switch their routers off for a while would be negligible.
I think there are different teams of people at plusnet answering the customer calls and working on the gateways. And plusnet are perfectly capable of booting people off if they really need to re-balance things later.
Steve
Pro

My other half is still with Plusnet and had her going ape in my lughole for an half hour tonight...Looking for some compensation now so I am.
Community Veteran

Went down just after six and only just reconnected at 10.
Maybe good advice to switch off but how would I get that info as my only way to access the internet was down.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: DomS
as well as providing the bit of breathing space needed to work out what the issues are rather than dealing with the constant flood of customer calls.
I remember as an IT manager, when a server went down, you would spend more time explaining to people that you were working on fixing it than fixing it !

That would make sense in some IT circles but not for an ISP that has engineers for the tech side of things and call centre agents to handle the phones!
Quote from: ejs
I think there are different teams of people at plusnet answering the customer calls and working on the gateways.

+1 which is why I don't understand the above explanation  Huh
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The most recent update suggests powering down for 15 mins.
Community Veteran

The advice is probably for the following reasons.
1 - It gets rid of the customer for 1-2 hours. So easing load on support platform which we know is overloaded on a normal day never mind an outage.
2 - IT eases load on gateways which are not only congested but the authentication systems not having to deal with as big a flood of requests.
The issue cascading from one BNG to another I think plusnet have themselves to blame, for much of the past week (maybe even longer) they have been routing almost all new connections to only the BNG gateways, I remember earlier in the week having to try over 30 times to get a non BNG gateway.  I expect if they had all gateways with equal preference it wouldnt have happened, and the reason they having so much balance issues is they running their gateways oo hot with not enough free spare capacity to handle variances in load count away from the norm.
TORPC
Grafter

I was told by Plusnet support, (which PN staff can listen to the recording to verify if required),
The reason is, to make room for the technicians to work on the system
I am guessing that it could be, overloaded & the systems can / could not cope
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Strangely nobody in our house noticed that the internet was down (possibly because one of our rabbits had 'disappeared' in the garden somewhere and I couldn't find her).
Router reports it dropped at 17:59 and took until 18:51 to reconnect:
17.09.14	18:51:07	Internet connection established successfully. IP address: xx.xxx.xxx.xx, DNS server: xx.xx.xx.xx and xx.xx.xx.xx, Gateway: xx.xx.xx.xx, Broadband PoP: bras-red1.mqd-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17.09.14 18:42:21 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 11583
17.09.14 18:35:18 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 3102
17.09.14 18:26:44 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 11567
17.09.14 18:13:00 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 1830
17.09.14 18:04:50 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 6284
17.09.14 18:03:45 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 2207
17.09.14 18:02:38 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 498
17.09.14 18:01:18 Log in with Internet service provider failed. CHAP authentication failure, unit 6026
17.09.14 17:59:56 Log in with Internet service provider failed. Terminated LCP
17.09.14 17:59:12 Internet connection cleared.

Perhaps the advise to wait an hour or two is not so bad in this case (though I doubt anyone knew how long it would be down).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: M
My other half is still with Plusnet and had her going ape in my lughole for an half hour tonight...Looking for some compensation now so I am.

Fair enough - if you were off for an hour you may be due for 1/720th of your monthly broadband fee.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I wonder if they'd be kind enough to round up my compensation to 3p then?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
leader
Grafter

Switch your router off for 1-2 hours  gives the wrong message on so many levels.
It certainly made me question to stay.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

not really if your an adsl customer and your router is constantly doing line up> connected>unable to auth>line down>line up>connecting>unable to auth>line down> for a protracted period your going to find the DSLAM has kicked in and managed your line to a 0.01kbps rate when you finally get back up and then take 2>3 weeks to retrain back to normal operation.
if you turn off the router it wont do that so you save all that problem, not to mention the additional strain on the dustomer service team of dealing with al lthose secondary speed complaints......
for fibre customers however that's all irrelevant as the modem sync is the important part so switching off the router is actually bad as the modem would constantly be restarting trying to find it ........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you