Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turkey.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Turkey.

No not the feathered type, the country.

The place seems to be in a right mess, at one time it was a good and cheap holiday destination but tourist numbers are right down with many shops now closed due to all the recent terriorist and the power to run the country now in the hands of one man, a decision large numbers of the population are not prepared to accept.

Thousands who oppose the government are now in jail along with newspaper reporters who printed negative things about the country, they made good progress under the rule of Ataturk, what went wrong ?

23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Turkey.

he one that vote though didn't he, albeit by a slim margin but still won.
so for those who are not prepared to accept the result, should we give them the same advice that those in the UK are told regarding brexit and those in scotland who lost the referendum? you lost the vote so accept it ?
afterall, that's democracy.

and the UK is hardly the model country, so maybe we should concentrate on our own mess before worrying about others.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Trump won`t like dealing with a Dictator in NATO .....  so he may just nuke him.....

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

The Turkish president wanted an executive presidency rather than a parliamentary style of government, to be more like the US and France for example.  Does anyone even know the name of the president of Germany, or Ireland?  As you say, they held a referendum and he won.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

@shutter

You'd think.

The American right despite its rhetoric just loves dictatorships - Chile, Panama, Chad..... It's quite a list.

PS. This morning on BBC News: Trump congratulates Erdogan. Roll eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39626116

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

Jonpe wrote:

The Turkish president wanted an executive presidency rather than a parliamentary style of government, to be more like the US and France for example.  Does anyone even know the name of the president of Germany, or Ireland?  As you say, they held a referendum and he won.

Germany =Frank-Walter_Steinmeier

Ireland= Michael_D._Higgins

and all for two minutes on Google.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

This sums the guy up for me http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4419762/A-tyrant-palace-three-times-White-House.html

Now they've had their vote i don't expect they'll get another!

Also he's played the Muslim card, if he believes in it he's dangerous if he doesn't believe in it he's opportunistic and still dangerous. Crazy3

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Minivanman
Hero

Just to add to that, as far as I am aware and like the UK and the US, both the German and the Irish Parliaments have a second house giving a system of checks and balances. We can argue of course as to how effective they are but again as far as I am aware Turkey does not have this and is now in effect an autocracy?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

We can argue of course as to how effective they are but again as far as I am aware Turkey does not have this and is now in effect an autocracy?

the people get what the people vote for.
they had a referendum and they voted for it.

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, and we are not Turkey but Turkey is part of NATO.

Just all seems out of kilter to me - what happened to shared values and presumably shared democracy and one which 'the people' now seem to have now given away. 

Luzern
Pro

From a very log Wiki article on him, he seems a very complex and sometimes contradictory character; sometimes very conservative, sometimes liberal.

Although I don't like the smell of what is going on in Turkey, I would suggest that my (and others') may be one guided by our culture and politics; not those of the Turks, who must better understand, being on the spot.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Jonpe wrote:

Does anyone even know the name of the president of Germany, or Ireland?

I thought the chancellor of germany was the top woman.. cos she seems to run the place as if she were.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

7up wrote:

I thought the chancellor of germany was the top woman.. cos she seems to run the place as if she were.

the president is the head of state, but the chancellor is the person that runs the country.
just like the queen is our head of state, but the PM/cabinte run the country.

the only difference is our head of state isn't elected.

Minivanman
Hero

"the only difference is our head of state isn't elected"

And why? Because if she or any other of that parasitical Windsor brood stood for election, they'd be out on their royal rears, and that's a fact.

Community Veteran

well it's impossible to say if that would be a fact.
i don't know what the percentage of the UK population are "royalists", but it'll be a fair few.
and unless there is such an election it can only every be conjecture, and not fact.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules