Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tumble drier WARNING... FIRE RISK ...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Tumble drier WARNING... FIRE RISK ...

Serious post....  

Have you got a green spot on your tumble drier ?   Hotpoint, Indesit, or Creda  branded Tumble Driers... If so, then you "should be ok".. and need no further action...

However,.... if you don`t have a green dot.... then you should STOP USING IT IMMEDIATELY... and check online

quote from....  http://www.itv.com/news/2016-10-06/how-can-you-find-out-if-your-tumble-dryer-is-a-safety-risk/

__________________________________________________________________________________________

More than four million Whirlpool tumble dryers, sold under the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands, have been affected by a fault which can cause fires.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Apart from the information given in the above linky.....  you might also like to read this page.... where more detailed info is provided...

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2015/12/113-hotpoint-indesit-and-creda-tumble-dryer-models-pose-fire-ris...

59 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Tumble drier WARNING... FIRE RISK ...

That's been going since last year, they just haven't been that proactive with telling people about it publicly, and with all the posts on social media, forums, youtube and whatnot, only the people who refuse internet access are not in-the-know about it...

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Tumble driers? One of my pet dislikes.

No wonder we need to likes of France and China to supply us with more electricty, no wonder Councils are denied democracy over fracking...... and no wonder our bills are so high

What the heck is wrong with hanging your washing out. It's cheap, cheerful, smells better (unless you live anywhere near Port Talbot) and it does not catch fire!  Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Superuser
Superuser

When i sent my claim in this March ( the tumble dryer issue has be ongoing since last November, i think)

After my credit card company reviewed the claim, they rejected it full stop.

After reading this : http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2016/10/ombudsman-awards-refund-to-owner-of-faulty-hotpo...

I contacted the credit card company, had a call back this morning and have been give a 75% (dryer purchased Oct 13) refund.

Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

Tumble driers? One of my pet dislikes.

No wonder we need to likes of France and China to supply us with more electricty, no wonder Councils are denied democracy over fracking...... and no wonder our bills are so high

What the heck is wrong with hanging your washing out. It's cheap, cheerful, smells better (unless you live anywhere near Port Talbot) and it does not catch fire!  Wink

Not everyone has a back garden to hang the washing out on, true some people have back yards but with no access to the wind it is unlikely to dry.

Equally there are parts of the UK where it frequently rains for some part of the day.

But like you I hate tumble dryers

Community Veteran

Not sure how people go on regarding compensation, the firm making these dryers and advising people to use them should be made to pay for the damage and distress caused as they advised people to keep using them.

One question......Where were Health and Safety whilst this was going on.....they should have been aware of the danger of advising customers to keep using faulty dryers based on the number of fires which had already happened.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

What the heck is wrong with hanging your washing out.

It's raining... Crazy

Community Veteran

Looking out of the window it's raining now.....so much for hanging the washing out.

Wink

Minivanman
Hero

We only hang ours out when it's not raining, and in front of the fire when it is....  and in the same as everybody else before those tumble dryers  Wink 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We don`t have a washing line... as I commandeered the washing line post, for my long-wire aerial... 

Anyway... hanging washing out, makes the garden look untidy,...Shocked

so we use a tumble drier, all the time..  ( not one of those listed  in this thread, fortunately, )..

Minivanman
Hero

Our line is strung out along rosemary and lavender bushes. Nothing better, and beats tumble drying into a cocked hat plus, it helps 'save the planet' and cuts down my overdraft Wink

One draft cutting down another, ironic or what?

Each to their own of course  Smiley  

Superuser
Superuser

How do you chose to dry your clothes in winter , when it's pouring down outside ?

Like many, dry mine out side, in the countryside sunshine in the summer , and tumble dry in winter when you can not dry outside.

Mike

Mike
Minivanman
Hero

How do you think they've been doing it since the dawn of man?

Bring them inside and hang it in front of the fire overnight, or just leave them the relative warm for a day or two. Even with an unlit fire our used towels for example dry out overnight ready to go back into the bathroom the following day.

Maybe we are all just to impatient to get clothes out these days. Offer a solution and folks take it regardless of cost I guess.  

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

and in front of the fire when it is....

Haven't got a fire (Open, closed, gas or electric), that and drying clothes indoors causes damp, and this house has enough damp issues due to being over 150 years old... Grin

Minivanman
Hero

Even if you leave the windows open a bit? Our little cottage is at least 200 years old - used to be a cow shed and so has very thick walls..... but one up from our previous house which used to house goats!

Much better to dry naturally if you can, and of course it saves quite a bit cash wise as those things can quite greedy when it comes to using electricity..... or not if you listen to some of the manufacturers bumf - plus of course you have that initial outlay. By cheap and they cost more to run, buy expensive then cheaper to run but higher outlay.

Cost of washing line. £1.50. Wink