Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tube Lighting

Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Tube Lighting

Hi

Fluorescent tube light in the garage has died recently and looking for a replacement.  It is a singular G13 1200mm tube and fitting.  

I'm sick of it taking a few seconds / flickering to become a steady light and so thought what about changing to a LED tube.

Is this possible just by buying an LED tube and fitting it like you would do on any other bulb around the house such as spotlight GU10s and click and twist bulbs etc...?  Reading online seems that swapping may be more complicated than it seems with things like a ballast etc (not sure if there is one on mine?)

This is the LED tube light  that I'm thinking of going for.  It will be replacing two fluorescent tubes.

Thanks in advance Thumbs_Up

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_373a.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_373b.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_373c.jpg

Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Tube Lighting

I got fed up with mine. Not lasting long, taking a long time to flicker to a start. I put it down to my often cold and damp sheds.

I replaced the tube with a pair of the standard bayonet type fluorescent bulbs. Had them a couple of years now with no problems.

The only difference was I put the bayonet sockets on the side above my bench.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Probably more safe to install a complete LED unit... that way, you (should) be safe... it`t only a "one-off" expense, and peace of mind thereafter...

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@NorthEasterner wrote: Reading online seems that swapping may be more complicated than it seems with things like a ballast etc (not sure if there is one on mine?

if its a fluorescent tube, there'll be a ballast unit there somewhere. Some are electronic, some are magnetic. Either way, you need to get shot of it.

Rather than mess around with wiring mods, how about paying another £8 or so for a pre-wired ready to go unit, such as here.

Edit, looking at the LED lamp specs it seems that one will work with a magnetic type ballast unit, straight out the box. I see someone has mentioned it comes with a starter!!!??? I'd be more inclined to go for a proper job, not a conversion of sorts.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I have one of these led tubes in the kitchen, as you may know they do not use that starter capacitor or what ever the correct name is so you will simply have to bypass that.

Be aware there are 2 types of tubes, one is similar to your current tube with wires going to the socket at each end but the other type requires both wires to go to a single end, the box will be clearly marked as to the type of tube and light tempature.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 24

Last year I was in the same situation, and eventually gave up trying to understand all the ifs and buts involved in a straight swap into the original fitting. I then found that the new tube was marked at one end: 240V L&N.

The solution, therefore, was to simply disconnect the starter, ballast etc, and re-route the live and neutral wires within the casing from the terminal block to the end connectors feeding the tube pins.

NB  The case shound be labelled externally eg "240V DIRECT"

You'll be amazed by the quality of the light compared to the old one. Smiley

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 5

@198kHz wrote:

After reading this thread I'm contemplating replacing the 2 x 8ft. 125W single fluorescent fittings in my garage (unusable for its intended purpose due to being full of junk Roll_eyes ) which have now both failed, presumably due to the ballasts dying.

Following the link provided by @idonno I was encouraged by the reasonable cost of the fittings and tubes compared to what ISTR they were a few years ago when I last looked.  However I'm discouraged by a comparison of the Lumens output figures for the two  types.

Even if I replace each of my 8ft. fluoro fittings with 2 x 4ft. LEDs end to end the figures are nowhere near comparable.

Googling gives well in excess of 9000 Lumens for each fluoro (depending on colour temp), whereas the 4ft. LEDs are quoted as 1600Lumens each (so presumably 3200 end to end for 2?).

Am I missing something?

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@RobPN wrote:

@198kHz wrote:

Googling gives well in excess of 9000 Lumens for each fluoro (depending on colour temp), whereas the 4ft. LEDs are quoted as 1600Lumens each (so presumably 3200 end to end for 2?).

Am I missing something?

Well, It seems obvious to me,... that you are, indeed, missing something... it is called LIGHT... ! Roll_eyes

Now, from what you said... both your tubes have failed, in the garage... so you have no light in there... yet ... googling, suggests you have 9000 lumens skulking around... but because you cant see them... *( you are therefore missing them ).. due to the failure of the said equipment.  Huh

And yet. you seem to be suggesting that the LED replacements will not be as bright..Undecided

. Erm.... they will,... when you have fitted them and connected them to the switch.....

Switch them on... and ... YAY>..... Let there be light.... as someone said... Cheesy

and all the stuff you could not see before, will be revealed...  and if you were missing something then...hopefully, now you have some light...you will be able to find it...Smiley

Oh ... By the way...  when you have your new light units fitted and working,... you will be able to work at night.... clearing out the rubbish.stores, so that you can reclaim the garage for your motor ! ! ! .. Azn

Highlighted
Hero

Yeah but no but ...

Given that fitting LEDs will give less light than the fluoros did before they failed (tubes and starters are still OK having tested them), I'm wondering whether to fix the originals.  Undecided

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@RobPN wrote: Googling gives well in excess of 9000 Lumens for each fluoro (depending on colour temp), whereas the 4ft. LEDs are quoted as 1600Lumens each (so presumably 3200 end to end for 2?).

Am I missing something?

In the good old days, I could visualise a watt of light. If someone said the bulb was 60 watt, I had no problems as to how much light I would get from it.

Lumens? I really don't have a clue unless I look at a comparison chart and then..... I used to have a 150watt halogen security light doing part of the garden. I got shot of that for a 10w LED light. Something like this.. Result: a whiter light and I swear it is brighter and yet you look at the charts and they reckon its equivalent to a 80-100w lamp. Smoke and mirrors come to mind.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Hero

@idonno wrote:

Lumens? I really don't have a clue unless I look at a comparison chart and then..... I used to have a 150watt halogen security light doing part of the garden. I got shot of that for a 10w LED light. Something like this.. Result: a whiter light and I swear it is brighter and yet you look at the charts and they reckon its equivalent to a 80-100w lamp. Smoke and mirrors come to mind.

That's what I had to do, Google for a comparison to find the equivalent light output.

However, regarding security lamps, I know it's not the same as your 150W example, but my 500W halogen security lamp is far brighter than a friends 10W LED one, the difference being almost literally night and day.  Obviously eyes adjust to different light levels, but ...

I'm wondering what the difference would be subjectively between the old fluoros and the LEDs discussed.  I wouldn't want to be disappointed after spending money on them.  I think I'll need to do some research when I've time.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 140

I have changed five 1200mm fluorescent tubes in my house. Four had magnetic ballasts so all I had to do is swap the tubes, take out the starter and replace it with the dummy which came with the tube. These simply connect the two starter pins together. Job done in a couple of minutes, sufficient light, every-one happy. If desired it could be reverted to fluorescent..

The fifth had an electronic ballast. It was a simple task to rewire this but needs some DIY skills and competence to safely work on electrical circuits.

With respect to fluorescent light output. The lumens quoted generally refer to their brand new light output. This drops with age so some circumspection is required when comparing specs. If you are happy with having a fluorescent tube but starting is an issue then simply change the starter for an electronic version. They are far superior.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

As stated earlier I changed a 6ft tube for a led tube giving off white light and I can assure you the light is far better than the old tube, using 2 x 4ft tubes will give excellent light in a standard size garage.

The current led tubes may be more efficient than the one I installed a couple of years ago but the energy used by the led tube was half that of the old tube, personally I expected it to be much lower than that.

Highlighted
Hero

@Baldrick1 wrote:

With respect to fluorescent light output. The lumens quoted generally refer to their brand new light output. This drops with age so some circumspection is required when comparing specs. If you are happy with having a fluorescent tube but starting is an issue then simply change the starter for an electronic version. They are far superior.

I agree that the light output of fluorescent tubes drops as they age, but I remember where I used to work years ago that the difference in light levels offered by using 125W tubes as opposed to 100W tubes in the 8ft fittings was quite noticeable.  That's what's making me apprehensive about taking an even bigger downward step in Lumens.

I also agree about the quick-start electronic starters, I'm already using those.  Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Compare the difference between cars that have standard bulbs and those that have led bulbs, if the leds were no brighter or did not last longer no one would buy them.

Same with led tubes which are more expensive than the old tubes.