cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to join a forum where they use a test to confirm you arent a computer

penneck
Rising Star

Trying to join a forum where they use a test to confirm you arent a computer

I've just bought a car and want to join their owners forum. To register, or even to contact them, you have to type in a set of letters that they put on the screen to confirm you are human. The letters are either bold or not, and are either light on a dark background or dark on a light background, so there are four different types in each set. I've tried all capitals, all lower case, bold as capitals with the others as lower case, and dark background as capitals and others as lower case. All failed to be accepted.

Have any of you Plusnetters cracked the code in this type of verification? There's never an Alan Turing when you need one

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Trying to join a forum where they use a test to confirm you arent a computer

@penneck The 'captcha' you need to copy is in the form it is to prevent AI from being able to copy it - so far as you as a human are concerned, you only need to enter the characters as they are - either in upper or lower case - e.g. if the sequence is ZsfAApq - then you just need to type exactly that, and not for instance zSfAaPQ.

HTH

John
dvorak
Fixes: 1,136

Re: Trying to join a forum where they use a test to confirm you arent a computer

usually takes an attempt or two.
should be an option to read it out to you though?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

as @jab1  says....

AXCfjb7Rtu  needs to be copied exactly.... AXCfjb7Rtu   other wise it will reject it and present a new format ... often there can be overwrites that cannot be decyphered...  which makes it necessary to "cycle thru" the options given until one actually works ! .

penneck
Rising Star

The latest is RVRWWW, but with nothing to compare them with for size, it could be RvRwww, or any combination thereof. I have tried all sorts of combinations of the above, but haven't this time taken into consideration whether the letter is on a dark or light background. Certainly trying as shown above didn't get me anywhere

Only the Rs in the above can sort of be confirmed as upper case, whereas V, W, C, O, S, U, Z and probably other letters too could be upper or lower case with no obvious way of telling which they are if they dont show them in both upper and lower case at the same time

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Seems stupid to make them unreadable, but I find picture ones, that ask you to select all images with traffic lights, say, annoying. One image may be very well disguised.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 6

@penneck  can you tell us the website so we can all have a play......

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The few times I've come across a word or letter one I've usually just typed it straight as is. Ignoring any differences in case.

Champnet
Champion

Uppercase characters seem to be slightly larger, the lines are straighter and the circles are round. Lowercase seem to be more freehand. 

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 60

@penneck wrote:

The latest is RVRWWW, but with nothing to compare them with for size, it could be RvRwww, or any combination thereof. I have tried all sorts of combinations of the above, but haven't this time taken into consideration whether the letter is on a dark or light background. Certainly trying as shown above didn't get me anywhere

Only the Rs in the above can sort of be confirmed as upper case, whereas V, W, C, O, S, U, Z and probably other letters too could be upper or lower case with no obvious way of telling which they are if they dont show them in both upper and lower case at the same time

Sorry, missed this post, @penneck , but with respect, unless the site uses a really obscure captcha generator, upper and lower case letters should be easily discernable. I've not seen an instance for months when they aren't when I've had to use them, and sadly they seem to be coming more commonplace.

John
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@billnotben wrote:

The few times I've come across a word or letter one I've usually just typed it straight as is. Ignoring any differences in case.

I'd agree with that for some of them, but that seems to be getting less common nowadays.

To save having to find out if the site will accept either case, I usually now type according to what I see.

penneck
Rising Star

For Champnet's benefit, the forum is at http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk, and I click on 'Register'. It isn't the best designed site. Once you have clicked on 'Register', go to the bottom of the 'Registation Agreement' then click on the 'I accept.... I am at least 16 years old'. That takes you to the form you need to fill in. The 'human test' is down the page. Note that one of the questions it asks is "Where was your Mazda built?". Considering all the countries in the world that build Fords (for example), that may not be as easy to answer as it appears. Another question is "What is the name of the river that runs through Londaon" - their typo, not mine (for once).

Good luck if you can pass the test. Considering I have tried and failed several times to pass it, I would be interested to know if any of you succeed.

Champnet
Champion

I have to confirm @jab1 ‘s comment : the site uses a really obscure captcha generator.....

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

I can't really see the problem @penneck 

I didn't register but looked at the letters and got them all correct - sometimes it helps to use the screen magnifier (Windows).

But why I say there shouldn't be a problem is because, as dvorak stated in post #3, there's an option for the letters to be read out to you!  Which is how I know I got the letters correct, and possibly lower or upper case might not matter in this instance because it didn't mention which case they were during reading them out.

Edit:  after seeing further contributions to the thread I went back and tried various combinations of refreshing the page and requesting a new sequence of letters.

As @billnotben says, they're all uppercase, and surprise surprise, I got the same letters presented to me each time!!!

X  A  N  P  T  W

EDIT 2 - however, I tried another browser and got a different sequence so that's put paid to that little perceived anomaly.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

No I didn't join but after running through a dozen or so "request another image" they all looked the same case so I would simply type as is without messing with upper and lower case.