Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to help, but ........

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Trying to help, but ........

Is it just me, or do others get the feeling at times that is an uphill struggle to try and help on here? Since the start of the current CV19 problem, and the resulting reduced staff availability, I have spent as much time as possible to try and resolve issues in the areas where I have the knowledge/experience to do so, and 80/90% of the time, it is a waste of effort.

My attempts are either ignored, or never followed through to any kind of final conclusion. To be honest, it makes me reluctant to continue - I could use the time to my advantage, but the times when we do reach a conclusion then make it seem worthwhile.

John
20 REPLIES 20
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

Re: Trying to help, but ........

It is not just you.

I don't think it is helped by the default quotes from most of the PN staff saying they are prioritising faults and so on, without even bothering to read the OP's question.

That said, the level of knowledge of many first time, and some not so first time posters is quite poor, and they expect a staff member to just fix the problem. And many take the view that it is not their responsibility to do any local checks!

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Thanks, @Mustrum . I agree with all you have said, but common courtesy, to me at least, would be for the OP to acknowledge a response and at least say 'I'll wait for a PN staffer' if, for whatever reason, they don't think others can help them - at least I could then ignore the thread and get on with something else.

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@jab1  I understand your feelings, entirely,... I have the same problem with "newbies" on the morse over the internet program that I monitor all day long... to help the newbies.. both to the program itself, and to those new to morse... I offer my help, and as soon as I do,... they just disappear never to be seen again.. I do keep a record of their I.P. address  ( just in case they return   ... but no... )

It is most disappointing, that they do not acknowledge you, and just ignore any calls you make to them direct..

Should we still try and help people?  ? ? ?  yes... I think so...but we should be equally aware of the disappointment they cause us, when they ignore the help they could get...

An up lifting thought , though... those that you have helped, probably appreciate it much more than we realise..

Good luck, and onwards ever onwards !

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Thanks, @shutter 😊

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@jab1 wrote:

Is it just me,

No!  😃

But it's nice to get an occasional result.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@198kHz Yep, the occasional result is nice - what really gets my goat is when they don't even bother to acknowledge your response.

John
Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

It's time for a complete shake up of the industry. We've seen that a lot of people can work from home either full time or part time, that has to be good for the environment and well being of the people.  Whilst the government has it's cheque book out it should provide full fibre to all premises and homes.  Qualified network persons should provide internal ethernet points and WiFi access similar to the way electricity is provided. Given the current structure over telephone lines I'm surprised anything works.

I look at the faults reported in other sections of the forum, should we expect users to become network experts or should they just expect it to just work ?  

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Nice ideas, @Champnet , but are there enough qualified people ou there to do as you suggest, and to be honest, the facilities and infrastructure for it to happen in a short time frame? IMO - no.

I'm not expecting everyone to be a network engineer - I'm not one, just someone who has been involved with computers for close to 40 years, and was the 'IT support' at my employers before the term was even thought about, so yes, I have gained a fair bit of knowledge.

My reason for starting this discussion was more to do with the distinct lack of response from posters when you ask them to do a bit of self-help, or provide data to enable others to help.

John
Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

@jab1 wrote:

Nice ideas, @Champnet , but are there enough qualified people ou there

I doubt there are enough qualified people at Plusnet, never mind elsewhere.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 187

@jab1 wrote:

Is it just me, or do others get the feeling at times that is an uphill struggle to try and help on here?

My attempts are either ignored, or never followed through to any kind of final conclusion. To be honest, it makes me reluctant to continue - I could use the time to my advantage, but the times when we do reach a conclusion then make it seem worthwhile.

I do sympathise but wonder whether it's a generation thing. Please and thank you seem to have gone out of fashion these days, not helped at all by smart devices. Maybe if you had to say "please" and "thank you" to Amazon's Alexa et al before they would respond would help?

To be honest being confined indoors for months is a big driver in regards to the amount of time that I spend on this forum, this plus  the mental exercise that some issues require and interest in their resolution do interest me and keep the grey matter ticking over.

It is nice to receive thanks and even the occassional fix from those that have been helped but apart from the odd thanks to specific posts from one or two of the few pro-active Plusnet staffers there appears to be no acknowledgement of the gratis help that Plusnet have received and continue receiving from customers during this crisis, even since they have been directing telephone callers on to this forum.

If you could use your time more to your advantage I would say do it.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

@Baldrick1 I agree, 'please' and 'thank you' do not seem to feature in younger generations vocabulary these days, regrettably, but that is not my biggest gripe. The main irritant is those posters who make bald 'my internet isn't working' type statements, I reply and get no response, and find the OP gone by the end of the day, presumably after having read my reply, but obviously too ignorant to acknowledge that help has been offered.

Yes, being restricted on getting out is one reason I spend longer on here than I normally would, but I do have other options under these circumstances - I have a bit of decorating to do 😉, some TV to catch up on, and a hell of a lot of books to read. However, like you, I enjoy the mental exercise and feeling of success if I can solve a problem.

So far as using the time to my advantage, rather than trying to help - we shall see, I've not quite reached that point - yet.

John
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Champnet wrote: I look at the faults reported in other sections of the forum, should we expect users to become network experts or should they just expect it to just work ?  

You mean schooling isn't as good as it used to be. 😁 Of course the darn thing should just work. Same way I don't go repairing TV's. Its all about being competent in whatever field it is. I can play around with computers and the like all day but TV's nah. I could probably learn but why re-invent the wheel. Far easier to let some other mug do it.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 187

@jab1 wrote:

The main irritant is those posters who make bald 'my internet isn't working' type statements, I reply and get no response, and find the OP gone by the end of the day, presumably after having read my reply, but obviously too ignorant to acknowledge that help has been offered.

I am guessing that this is typical of many of the calls made to Plusnet when they are working normally. These are simply being diverted to this forum at the present time. Whilst there have always been a proportion who (sometimes aggressively) demand that their connection be immediately restored but are not prepared to try to help themself, I certainly don't remember so many in the past.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

You are probably correct, @Baldrick1  - I know one of the Help Team on here personally, and her description of some of the calls she has dealt with make me wonder how anyone can do that job and remain sane.

John